I hate it when I get the dimensions wrong!

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
I thought I'd take a stab at stretching a track plan that Brakie was looking at, to fill a 2x5 space. Unfortunately, I wasn't paying attention, so the first time around, I drew it in a 3x5' space.

It seems like not a bad layout for someone who wants to do some switching, let me know what you think:

Attachments

• brakie.jpg
    brakie.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 23

Mountain Man

Put a mountain in the center and you have two separate view areas that could operate independently...say a town and an industry, or an industry and a market.

Pooh Bah
Maybe not a mountain, but buildings that are different on each side so that it looks like some other industry. Even for warehouses, you could make a brick building along one track and a glass and concrete one on the other. Or aluminum pre-fab.

nkp174

It seems kind of spaghetti bowl like to me. I think it would benefit, scenically, from simplifying the track plan.

That is a yards on the lower left, and industries on the other sidings, correct? And there will be buildings blocking the view in between? (which of course, 50% or more of modelers would never get around to.

On the other hand, some cool things could be done by modifying the yards if it were a logging layout, covered in trees and hills...perhaps a switchback on one of the inner tracks.

Instead of the passing siding on the top, I'd draw a double slip at the crossing...with space limitations that require it.

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
It seems kind of spaghetti bowl like to me.

You're joking, right? You have seen what other people try to shoe-horn into a given space?

That is a yards on the lower left, and industries on the other sidings, correct?

Well, no and yes... it's only one yard :p , but there is supposed to be one industry per siding.

And there will be buildings blocking the view in between?

That's how I'd do it, but only if I could get around the entire layout... or at least 3 sides of it.

On the other hand, some cool things could be done by modifying the yards if it were a logging layout, covered in trees and hills...perhaps a switchback on one of the inner tracks.

Instead of the passing siding on the top, I'd draw a double slip at the crossing...with space limitations that require it.

Thanks for the comments. :)

Keep in mind this was a modification of a plan that Larry had started working from. He was looking for two separate industrial areas... it was originally supposed to be in a 2' wide space, but I goofed and made it 3'. And then tilted the oval a bit so there was some room in the one corner for a small yard, and another industry in the other.

Larry's interests (as I understand them) are in semi-prototypical operations. He wanted two distinct switching areas. I hate switching areas without a runaround, hence the two sidings. Also, by having two passing sidings, you could have two operators working separate jobs, and not getting in each others' hair.

*edit* Larry. LARRY! Brakie's name is Larry. Not Gus. :cry: :eek:ops:

nkp174

You're joking, right? You have seen what other people try to shoe-horn into a given space?

I did pause on that...'cause I know what you mean...it doesn't make 5 laps and have two branchlines like some plans :p What I meant was that there sure seems to be a lot of track for the size of the layout. If there is one industry per siding, then it should be ok.

I can think of a few locomotives that would look quite nice running around on there in between the buildings.