I got it!! I got it!!!!

yellowlynn

Jul 7, 2001
Whitehouse, Tx USA
Visit site
The way I type, it only took me 30 minutes, but here it is.

The next time you hear a politician use the word "billion" in a casual manner,think
about whether you want the politicians spending your money.

A billion is a number difficult to comprehend, but one advertising agency did a
good job of putting that figure into some perspective.

a. A billion seconds ago it was 1959.

b. A billion minutes ago Jesus was alive.

c. A billiion hours ago our ancestors were living in the stone age.

d A billion days ago no one walked on the earth on two feet.

e. A billion dollars ago was only 8 hours and 20 minutes at the rate our govn'ment spends.

While these thoughts are still in your mind, let's take a look at New Orleans.
It's amazing what you can learn with some simple division.

Louisiana Democrat Senator Mary Landrieu is presently asking the congress for
$250 BILLION to rebuild New Orleans.

Interesting number? What does it mean?

Well, if you are one of 484,674 residents of N. O., (every man, woman, and child),
you each get $516,528.00.

Or, if you have one of the 188,251 homes in N.O., your home gets $1,329,787.00.

Or, if you are a family of 4, your family gets $2,066,012.00.

Washington D.C., ARE YOUR CALCULATORS BROKEN!!!!!!!!!!!

Lynnannounce1 announce1

Cornreaper

Apr 26, 2006
Barrie, ON
I think this man could use a tutorial on what a billion is.

70a2416e04.jpg

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Now contemplate that the national debt has

ZZZZZZOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMEEEEEDDDDD

into the TRILLIONS of dollars...Who's gonna pay for it??? Us, our children, grandchildren and.....Someone hasn't done their math and they're impoverishing this nation for decades to come.
The fat cats that spend this kind of money I'm sure don't run their home budgets like that, so why do it with the national budget?? BECAUSE IT'S NOT THEIR MONEY!!! It's yours and mine....

Gus (LC&P).

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Lynn,

There is a lot more construction required than just homes - roads, water, sewer, power, hospitals, schools, businesses, parks, levees, harbour, other institutions. Think of all the "public" things we use everyday that have to be rebuilt.

Does each resident get $500G? Or is that just the value to each person when you divide the total investment by the population? If that is indeed for each individual, and the other costs are still to be added... then I agree that Washington needs to check the numbers again...!

Andrew

hooknlad

Mar 28, 2005
Woodbridge, NJ USA
lynn, i love your analogy... It is my opinion and only my opinion, that N.O. be rebuilt someplace else. 250 billion could be spent alot of better ways. Dont get me wrong, im sure its a great place, but im sure there is no one that could assure us that a new levee would hold back another Katrina. Why , why , why, would anyone want to rebuild a city thats 8 feet below the water level ? Again these opinions are mine and only mine. If another Katrina like storm comes along, there again will be more chaos and death. I know that a storm can happen anywhere, but why chance it on a town thats already underwater? I apologize to anyone who lives in N.O. , just my feelings. Thanx.

yellowlynn

Jul 7, 2001
Whitehouse, Tx USA
Visit site
That article was just something I caught in passing and thought it very interesting. I didn't do the math, so how correct or incorrect it is, don't hold me to it. It is pretty thought provoking. I will never know why any one would want to live below sea level, unless it was a submarine.

Lynn

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
protopaintwest.googlepages.com
Also, due to global warming in the next 100 years, the water level AFTER all the polar Ice Caps melt (OSH...) will RISE 40 feet! jawdrop I hope thay build 55foot tall levees!

Suddenly N.O. is the new atlantis for future conspiracy theorists to wonnder, "did N.O. really exist, or was it a hoax planted by the U.S. gov't in late 2006 to divert "Relief"
money into other things?" :rolleyes:

Bottom line, don't buy beach front property unless it's a boathouse! :D :(

zedob

Dec 26, 2004
Chicopee, MA
MilesWestern said:
Also, due to global warming in the next 100 years, the water level AFTER all the polar Ice Caps melt (OSH...) will RISE 40 feet! jawdrop I hope thay build 55foot tall levees!

Suddenly N.O. is the new atlantis for future conspiracy theorists to wonnder, "did N.O. really exist, or was it a hoax planted by the U.S. gov't in late 2006 to divert "Relief"
money into other things?" :rolleyes:

Bottom line, don't buy beach front property unless it's a boathouse! :D :(

The last I heard is that global warming is usually followed immediately by an ice age( wow, you mean this has happened before?), so N.O. just might end up being a big ice skating rink. :D

But I don't think everyone will be moving back... http://www.nymag.com/news/intelligencer/17161/:curse:

I wonder if the Govt plans on increases the limits on the FEMA cards for all those who recieved them? What a friggin joke. I heard so many groans from so many people when FEMA came up with that grand idea.stooges8

I really don't want to have to rebuild New New Orleans again and again and again...:rolleyes:

But, then again, people build houses on fault lines, under volcanoes, in the paths of hurricanes, tornados and wildfires and if that's not really stupid, they even build houses and cities on a planet that can be slammed back into pre-historic times by a 1/4 mile wide asteroid.

Who's gonna pay for THAT one? :D

fsm1000

Jun 4, 2006
Coquitlam BC
fsm1000.googlepages.com
A stack of one thousand dollar bills four inches high will make you a millionaire. To reach one trillion [which here is one million times one million] the stack would be 64 MILES high. That's for just ONE trillion.
Do the math, it is astonishing really.