I got a surprise today!

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I have offerred to overhaul a worn out diesel engine for a local church camp for their Mustang tractor which is like a "Bobcat". I called my former boss where I used to work before retiring and asked to use the steam cleaner on the engine, and arrainged to meet the maintainance guy from the camp at the shop this morning. My former boss is a fishing buddy of Rod Carew. I got to the shop and Jack told me he had a bunch of trains in the back of his pickup, but if I took one I had to take them all. Aparrantly Rod bought a bunch of trains when he retired from baseball, and figured he would play with his trains now that he was retired. He ended up getting bored and went back to coaching baseball, and stored the trains in Jack's garage. I guess he told Jack to get rid of them, anyway, my Dakota pick up now is full of boxes of trains. I haven't had time to inventory anything, yet; but so far I've found LGB trains, Lionel trains, and ho scale trains!

I noticed the Lionel track is starting to rust, but I figure to clean it all up and save the Lionel to give to my grand sons when they get old enough for electric trains. I'm going to set up the LGB on the patio in nice weather for my grandsons to run when they come over, again as soon as they are old enough to play with electric trains safely.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I finally went through everything tonight. I got a LGB starter set with one of those "funny" looking 0-6-0 tank type engines and 4 wheel European "wagons". The Lionel set is the Alton passenger set with a 4-6-4 hudson type locomotive and 7 passenger cars. The ho is really interesting. I have a model power USRA Pacific in CPR paint, an assortment of cheap toy ho cars and some Athearn "shake the box." There is one Athearn F-7 in Santa Fe red & silver war bonnett. Then there is a Marklin a/c ho set. Unfortunately nothing was packed away, everything was just kind of thrown in boxes, so a lot of stuff is broken. One LGB passenger car is missing it's roof completely. I couldn't find it anywhere in any of the boxes. The Lionel set is beautiful, and it is definately tough! The LGB seems to be pretty good, with just a couple of broken pieces. The CPR pacific seems to be in great shape, so I guess I'm going to look for some Athearn passenger cars in CPR colors to go with it. It is painted in the same scheme as the Royal Hudson. I don't know how prototypical that is, CPR is a long way away from the Santa Fe on Cajon Pass! I don't care whether it is prototypical or not, it is pretty, so I'm going to get some passenger cars in the same scheme to go with it.

I also have plans for the LGB and Lionel sets. We are having our house remodelled including a pergola over our patio to provide shade. In about 3 or 4 years when the grandsons are old enough for electric trains, I will set up the LGB in the patio for them to play with it. I'm going to look for a freight set to go with the passenger set and give them each their own Lionel train set at about the same time. At that point they will be about 5-7 years old.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Russ: the Royal Hudson paint schene is perfectly acceptable on a pacific. I think some of the smaller locos may have been a bit blacker. IIRC, there were 2 paint schemes - East and west or Winnipeg. One had a maroon panel on the tender and the other didn't.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
60103 said:
Russ: the Royal Hudson paint schene is perfectly acceptable on a pacific. I think some of the smaller locos may have been a bit blacker. IIRC, there were 2 paint schemes - East and west or Winnipeg. One had a maroon panel on the tender and the other didn't.

As I said, I like the colors and really don't care in this case if it is prototypical or not. The locomotive is a USRA light pacific, I don't know if CPR ran USRA prototypes or not, but again it doesn't matter. I need to find out if I can get some Athearn streamliner passenger cars in CPR colors, I think I've seen them.