I found this photo...any guesses?

upguy

Oregon Western Lines, CEO
Jan 26, 2001
Canyon City, Oregon, USA
http
I found this photo while going through some old papers. I thought it might be fun to see if anyone wants to take a guess as to what it is... What railroad? Where? When?

I'm not sure that I have the answers either, but I'll check back and tell you what I think (based upon my family history) in a few days. ;)

Attachments

• question.jpg
    question.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 164

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
The 4043 was a Southern Pacific class MC-6 cab forward 2-8-8-2.
Most likely the location is in California. When, could be 1910-1940.
I'm not an expert on fashion, but the clothes seem to be more 1930-1940.
Pete

upguy

Oregon Western Lines, CEO
Jan 26, 2001
Canyon City, Oregon, USA
http
Pete,

Did you look it up in a book? You sound pretty sure of your guess. I think that it is most likely a Southern Pacific cab forward based mainly on where my dad worked. The time period if pretty close as well. Although I don't know the time for sure, I believe that it was probably in the late thirty's.

I can't tell if the person in the picture is my father or not, but a picture that I found with this picture did show my dad beside a caboose. I believe that he worked for the Southern Pacific Railroad in Roseburg, Oregon, about that time period. So the picture was probably taken there as well.

It was interesting for me to see if your guesses would confirm what I already suspected. I hope you had fun with the exercise. Thanks for giving it a try. You all did quite well. :D

pcentral

Jul 17, 2002
Central California
Visit site
Hi All,
That has to be a SP cab forward. Quite an awesome engine to see. There is a beautifully restored one sitting in the California State Railroad Museum in Sacramento. Sorry I don't remember the number of it though. If anyone gets that way it is definitely a must see. An added bonus is you can sit in the cab of the cab forward.