I finished something again

liven_letdie

Mar 22, 2005
Turlock, CA
www.downthelinetrains.com
Well, I think I am starting to get some guts. This is my second scenery project after the small loco display. This was meant to be a mobile picture module. Mostly for practice before I start building industrial scenes and that kind of thing. I think a cemetary is next though, gotta have one of those! Anyway, started with a piece of old pegboard 18" x 24", I model HO so i thought this would be a good size. I then glued down a layer of cork sheet that I bought at a hardware store. I don't like flatness since I had a barren 4x8 plywood sheet when I was a kid so I took some scrap cork and cut some landforms from it. They actually were buried under the scenery so there is only a slight variation up close which I think is neat. The interesting thing is that every step long the way this thing looked wrong until the end when it was a completed painting. That means every one out there should keep screwing up until they screw up right! :D Anyway, I laid out the objects to make sure I had enough room. I was using a woodland scenics tree learning kit, landscape learning kit, scenice details learning kit, and some other pieces I had picked up along the line. Anyway, the woodland scenics stuff was really easy to use and I just got creative with it and mixed just about everything. The cork allowed me to "plant" my trees. Everything is glued down to the scenery except for the house and the truck in case I ever want to use them somewhere else. Looking back I should have just glued the house into the scenery. Anyway, the first picture is where I started from. The second is an overall shot, and the third is a fun shot, I added a background using my photo program. The photos really don't do it justice, I can't wait for my next project! Its not usual for me to do something right lol. Enjoy the pics!

Cory

Attachments

• 4B1EFC0A-A721-2006-4583361A5FE1B4BA.jpg
    4B1EFC0A-A721-2006-4583361A5FE1B4BA.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 185
  • 4B18887A-FECD-44C8-D093D1B59AE847EA.jpg
    4B18887A-FECD-44C8-D093D1B59AE847EA.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 188
  • 4B159A85-AD11-13C1-D57B378BA8B3A747.jpg
    4B159A85-AD11-13C1-D57B378BA8B3A747.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 187

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
WOW! looks GREAT Cory!:thumb: :D the last pic is my favorite!:thumb: cant wait to see your next project:thumb: :D THANKS!

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Nice work! I like the diorama approach to practicing/building. TomPM has worked a number of his dioramas into a full-fledged layout.

That last shot with the backlight and the (real) trees in the background is great!

Andrew

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
liven_letdie said:
That means every one out there should keep screwing up until they screw up right! :D Cory

Modeling words to live by! :D I have to agree. You did a fine job on that scene. the photo with the house looks terrific.
Ralph

liven_letdie

Mar 22, 2005
Turlock, CA
www.downthelinetrains.com
Thank you all for your kind words. You all inspire me with your words of wisdom and fine examples of photography and modeling. I am pleased that I am able to contribute back to the forum because it has helped me a lot, especially on the getting guts aspect :D. Anyway, the house I cannot take credit for, I bought it at an antique store. It is a laser wood kit that I have seen before but do not know who makes it. It was done really well, better than I could have done. The shingles are paper based but I am not sure how, sorry :cry: The part I won't cry over is that I only paid $2 for it. It helped inspire the module! Keep your eyes open for stuff you never know where you will find it! Happy modeling! :thumb:

Cory

galt904

Jan 17, 2005
Beachville ON
Looks good. My only beef is that the house is obviously sitting on top of the lawn, as though the wicked witch's legs might be sticking out. Good find on the house! :)