aam.sized.jpg

Looking South between Kraft Mill & Plywood Mill

aan.sized.jpg

Looking Southwest at Shop Wye

aao.sized.jpg

Looking South towards Pond Yard

aap.sized.jpg

RailRon

Beautiful backdrops and beautiful clouds, Tad. I'll keep your pics as reference for fine clouds!

I hope that my backdrop sky will look half as nice as yours - I still hope to start this week. (So far ALWAYS when I wanted to get started something came between, be it a health problem or family problems :mad: - it looks like there's a jinx on my sky backdrop... :( :( :( )

Ron

Tad

Thanks, everyone.

I painted the backdrop with some satin latex paint I got at Home Depot. The color for the sky is Horizon Haze and the lower wall I painted Green Grass. These were Behr colors that I picked out by comparing with photos.

I painted the clouds using Gavin Miller's techniques:

http://www.the-gauge.com/showthread.php?t=2906

I cut some stencils from cardstock and used a spraycan of flat white paint.

aas.sized.jpg

For the trees, I used these stamps and acrylic paints.

aat.sized.jpg

I worked about a foot and a half section at a time. I would stamp a tree at each end of the section that I was working on. Then I used a light green that I mixed on my palette to paint a background color over the blue. I painted it about 3/4 the height of the two trees that I stamped for guides. I did this using a wide artist's brush.

I used a few different shades of green, evergreen, forest green, and woodland green, for the trees. I mixed these three colors together, as well, to make a few in between shades.

I used the widest of my artist's brushes to paint the paint directly onto the stamp. Not real heavy or it just blobs. I just experimented with how much to put on the stamp until it looked right.

aau.sized.jpg

I then stamped the trees onto the backdrop. I worked down the section, repainting the stamp about every two trees. Then I went back and touched them up by hand and painted in the trunks with burnt umber. Then I painted in under the trees with a grayish green color that I mixed on my palette.

Tad

Thanks y'all.

Scott,

I was born in New Orleans, Louisiana and grew up in Louisiana and Arkansas. Those were the only two states I lived in before I went into the Army when I was 18. My layout is set in Arkansas, I used to live beside the AD&N mainline when I was little.

Iron Goat

Great backdrop, Tad !!! Thank you for sharing all those great ideas... please share any additional photo's as you progress.

Bob