I didn’t want to have a NYC Mikado, but …

cnw1961

… these Trix NYC Mikes are sold at incredible low prices at the moment here in Germany. I planned to get a BLI ATSF Mikado when they release their new run next year, but a Trix Mike with ESU sound for 116 EUR (US$ 139), I could not resist. And I don’t regret my decision. The engine looks great and it runs and pulls as well as my Atlas diesels – I didn’t expect this performance from a steamer.

Now I am trying to make my Mike look like an ATSF class 3100 engine. I need a new headlight, a bell for the top of the boiler and a number plate for the front of the smokebox. I hope to get these detail parts next week. Unfortunately, I could not get the train indicator boards you find on ATSF steamers. Perhaps I have to try to scratch build them.
I had to use sanding paper to remove the NYC lettering. Trix does not use decals, they print the lettering. It resisted alcohol and MicroSol.
As a next step, I painted the front of the smokebox and the smokestack silver.

mik1.jpg

cnw1961

As you can see in the picture above, the engine still looked very clean and new. I want my Mike to look as if it had been in service for a long time. Today I took my airbrush and changed this clean look. I can tell you, I was quite nervous, because it was the first time I ever used my airbrush to weather an engine. I am glad, I did not spoil it.

mik2.jpg

Nazgul

Kurt
Congratulations on your purchase:thumb: She looks like a real beauty! great job as usual. I look forward to seeing more after you add the parts. keep up the good work:thumb:

LoudMusic

I am no conesure de steam, but I know what looks good, and that looks real good.

Something I've wondered about, though, for steam engine weathering is what I was seeing at Steamtown, PA. On all their non-functioning locos there was a pretty heavy showing of what looked like an oily oxidization. What is that and do operational locos get it?

Jim Krause

You have done a great weathering job. I wish I had the courage to get out my wife's airbrush (don't have one of my own) and do some weathering on my Bachman Shays. I'm tired of seeing them new and shiney.

UP SD40-2

Fantastic Job!!!

WOW Kurt!!!:eek: , that looks FANTASTIC!!!:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: I am TOTALLY envious of the weathering job you have done on it!!:thumb::D i wish i had the guts to weather my Challengers, and Big Boy:eek:ops: . GREAT JOB!!:thumb: :D -Deano

MilesWestern

It's Wunderbar, Kurt! ;) Will you convert the steamer to an oil burner like theReal ATSF locos, and remove the coal load? Just wondering, and great weathering! :thumb:

cnw1961

Thank you all for your nice comments. :wave: I don’t know if I would have had the courage to paint the engine, if I didn’t have to hide some holes I filled with styrene after I removed some parts which were wrong for an ATSF Mike. Miles, I’ve been thinking about this conversion for a while now and you are right, I should give it a try. You can easily take off the coal load to get access to the screws that hold the body of the tender. So I don’t have to damage the tender and can change back to the coal load if I don’t like the result of the coversion. OK, more to come.

cnw1961

A short report on the progress of my Mikado atsfization. As Miles suggested, I am changing the tender from coal to oil. I am making steady progress, but only veeeeerrry slowly. You can’t imagine, how much time you can spend on making some liftrings :rolleyes: . The next time consuming detail will be the oil filler hatches. I don’t have any detail parts, so I will to take a brass rod, get my file and spend some hours filing and cursing :D . But model railroading wouldn’t be any fun if everything was easy. Stay tuned, more to come.

mik3.jpg

mik4.jpg

Gil Finn

How is that pronuonced?

miKADo or MIC-A do

Yopu did a good job with it. It looks suttle and real, not abused and neglected as some seem to favor.

Very nice, you have talent for that.

wickman

Fantastic job Kurt I have alot of weathering to do myself on my steamers and rolling stock . I have a brand new airbrush and compressor still in the box and never used errr well I did pump the tires up on my boat trailer, other than that I don't have a clue how to use the airbrush.
What kinda paint did you use ?:wave: Any tips for a newbie like me?

cnw1961

Larry and Gil, thank you for your nice words.
Lynn, I am not an expert to airbrushing myself, I think there are more experienced guys here on the Gauge to give you some advice. I use Revell airbrush email paint. I don’t use water based airbrush paint, because I think the solvent based paints are easier to use. I don’t use my airbrush inside our house, so I don not have any problems with the fumes of the solvents. And the best advice I can give for airbrushing (I learned it the hard way): don’t hurry. Allow the paint to dry before you apply the next layer.

wickman

Thanks Kurt I used the floquil pianst on the laser cut mine I built it was very toxic and decided to goto polly paints hopefully they will be ok for airbrushing. I'll have to just jump in one day and try it sign1

cnw1961

I got the detail parts (headlight, number board for the front of the smoke box and the bell) for my Mike today. I couldn’t wait to install them. You can see the result in the first two pics.

mik5.jpg

mik7.jpg

I am still working on the conversion of the tender. I completed the first oil filler hatch.

mik8.jpg

I never thought that I would like a steamer that much. I only had first generation switchers and road switchers on my ATSF roster. I mainly bought the Mike, because it fits perfectly into the era I want to model (1951) on my next layout. But now I am hooked. I don’t think the Mikado will remain the only steamer on my roster.

Nazgul

Kurt
How cool is that!!!!! That engine looks great! Some day I will have the guts....I mean "time" to do mine. I also enjoy watching your meticulous progress on the tender...sweet!:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

CRed

Very nice!Could you do my DM&IR 2-10-2?

I had the BLI AT&SF 2-10-2,beautiful engine by the way,but that's a great deal on that Trix Mike!

Chris