I can't wait!

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Progress on the layout has come to a temporary stop as I await backdrop installation. I have a friend coming over to help me manhandle the masonite into a curved corner, but in the meanwhile, I just couldn't resist seeing what it's going to look like someday.

cheers
:D Val

Attachments

• stocklr.jpg
    stocklr.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 188

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Hi Val!

I think you'll find most of us set up stuff in our anticipatory excitement and desire to see how things are going to look. :)
Cool, cool cool!! I like your builings. Which one needs the steel shipment? Good luck with the masonite and the back drop painting. Wow, its really happening over there! Good for you!
Looking forward to seeing a photo of the finished scene above!
Ralph

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi Val,
Thats will look great when it's got the backscene in place. If you are going to place masonite into a curved corner, I might suggest that you soak in water the masonite at the place you wish to bend the corner at. "Stops it breaking" :D

Cheers
Shamus
waver.gif

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Thanks a lot everyone!!! I feel like I'm kind of cheating here with this "progress" shot but I guess Chris is right - the train show got to me!

Ralph, the company that needs steel is the red-brick building on the right. I picked it up used and since it's not very well put together, I'm going to cut it in half so I get a longer structure out of it.

Shamus, how long should the masonite soak? It's going to be a 4x8 piece, so this could be a challenge. Maybe I'll get out the kiddie pool and do it outside once things warm up a little, but I sure hope I don't need to wait that long!

Thanks again for your encouragement everyone. I probably wouldn't be doing this without you!

cheers

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Hi Val, It's looking good and I'm glad to see you're all excited. I can't wait as well, I think this is going to ba a fine looking railroad. Re the masonite, use the thinnest you can (1/8?) and if the radius isn't too tight you should have no problem. I can't say what the minimum radius (without wetting or sawing some kerfs on the backside) will be, but you'll figure it out easy enough when you start pushing the corner in, just use both hands to push so all the pressure isn't on one spot and it will be difficult to break. Good luck!

Gary

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi Val,
Soak it for around 1 hour, then dry it off and put it in place straight away, it will bend easy.

Shamus
waver.gif

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Thanks Shamus! Thanks Gary and Tyson! I've been doing a little playing around in Photoshop to see what I might want the backscene to look like. Found this amazing shot in my travels today....

Attachments

• dufferin area.jpg
    dufferin area.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 105

Lighthorseman

Jul 24, 2002
Out in the sticks
Visit site
It's Going To Be GREAT!!

Gee, Val, talk about doing things PROPERLY!! Lighting, then backdrop, then layout construction.:) If I may add, that's really professional looking benchwork, too. Nothing like my dog's breakfast!

I really like that CN passenger train. The black and green scheme is an eye-catcher. Cannot wait for more.:)

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Doin' it right and kicking my butt all over the place! Val, I think we started out about the same time, and you are wayyyyy ahead of me! Let me know if you need any good excuses, I've gotten pretty good at makin' those! Looks great! I'm excited to see more too! Rock on!

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Steve, thanks a lot. Actually I was determined to do all the benchwork first during my week off last month, but that plan got sidelined by unexpected guests and now I'm glad it did. It made me take the more methodical approach of doing things in - gasp - the right order LOL!

Glad you like the CN passenger cars. They're Athearns RTR, very nicely balanced, and new acquisitions from the train show this past weekend.

Jon, what are you saying? I bet you're way ahead of me in lots of other areas...... employee discipline comes to mind here! All my LPP are too busy hanging around downtown, window shopping or going for walks in the park to get anything done. :rolleyes:

cheers

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Wow, Val...Looks like things are really coming together! :cool:
Sometimes those old built-ups are great finds, & great for "chopping" into something else...you can always hide any defects with details, other structures, signs, pipes, vines, etc...

Hey, I LOVE that urban scene you shot there!:cool:
What a beautiful chunk of "decreptitude" (I don't think that's a real word! :D ) that is!
:cool: :cool: :cool: