I can't help myself ...

Okay, Thanksgiving is over. So, I have a few questions for you:

1. How many train related items will you buy for yourself between now and the first of the year?

2. If so, will you splurge and go for some motive power or will you buy more rolling stock that you probably cannot use because you have too much already? Both?

3. Most of our local shops are open 7 days a week in our area because of the holiday shopping. Will you "hang" at your shop and talk some trains, or will you induldge and buy some new stuff?

4. Do you believe that when the weather goes bad or cold, the focus on model railroading increases?

5. How many of you have a railroader magazine beside your favorite toilet? What about the toilet at work? If so, do you bring one or can you just leave it in there? (I keep one handy everywhere with a few other hobby mags too). Be honest.

I'd like to see at least 30 responses to this post, so c'mon folks, don't be shy!

DOG

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Back to your old tricks, Dog? :D

As for the first three questions I'm not planning on any more purchases between now and the end of the year. I still have a pair of Geeps in their unopened boxes that need to make an appearance on the layout and a number of freight cars that need some repair work sitting on my work bench. Time to deal with what I have! Besides, Christmas is coming and my wife is known to make secret visits to the hobby shop for my benefit at gift buying time.

As for Question #4, YOU BET!!! I'll get major work done this season! When the snow flies I head downstairs!

Question #5....Yep again. There's a couple Model Railroaders, a Trains, and an old copy of The Railroad Press that features the Penn Central...at home. I haven't brought the hobby to work in this manner yet. :)

Ralph

Russ Bellinis

I'll be buying the new Athearn CF7 when it comes out in L.A. Junction livery. My home switching layout will be L. A. Junction.
Otherwise, I've found I have a lot of rolling stock kits on my work shelf to be built. Also the club I belong to has just started using dcc, so most of my purchases in the future will be decoders.

Flangehead

Good topic.

I am completely impulsive with train buying, I'll get something whenever I decide I can't live without it. I know that I am getting into "stage three" where I already have too many cars and locos, but I will still buy an engine if I really like the type and have none like it. I rarely buy rolling stock other than locos.

I don't hang around the hobby store, it's too far away, and too busy this time of year to have room for loafers like me.

Bad weather definitely drives one into the train room, especially when the rest of the family is watching a video I don't care for.

As for the "reading material", I never threw out the train mags I collected in the last 35 years, they are in constant rotation on the nightstand and by the throne. I work in the field, but I keep at least one train mag in the work truck.

Lighthorseman

I like these questionnaires of yours, Dog. Here goes.

1. How many train related items will you buy for yourself between now and the first of the year?
--> Not too many, but I will pick up a few. I have a Lionel crane on the way, and I am expecting to purchase a Broadway Limited On30 C-16. This, of course, is in addition to scratchbuilding supplies like stripwood, windows, etc. I may need a few more lengths of code 83 flex, too.

2. If so, will you splurge and go for some motive power or will you buy more rolling stock that you probably cannot use because you have too much already? Both?
--> Hmmm. Good question. If I were to splurge, it would be on rolling stock. I don't even have enough to fill the very small three track "yard" on my layout.

3. Most of our local shops are open 7 days a week in our area because of the holiday shopping. Will you "hang" at your shop and talk some trains, or will you induldge and buy some new stuff?
--> I will purchase the above-mentioned scratchbuilding supplies from my LHS, but none in the city carry anything related to On30, so I have to order away for locos and rolling stock. It's half the price that way, too.

4. Do you believe that when the weather goes bad or cold, the focus on model railroading increases?
--> Absolutely! My train room is right beside the rec room, so I can pop in and out during less-than-exciting videos, too. On an acreage, there is so much to do outside during the summer that most of my modelling is done during the winter...when we're not out skiing.

5. How many of you have a railroader magazine beside your favorite toilet? What about the toilet at work?
--> I have copies of MR and NG&SLG all over the house, including the bathrooms. At any given time, I can sit just about anywhere, and pick up a magazine. Work? No.

Gary Pfeil

Can't say what my purchases may be, I never know myself till I somehow wind up with new equipment in my hand. I do have a Broadway Ltd E7 on order. And I want one of their 2-8-2's, but I put that on my Xmas list, so I'll wait for awhile on that.

Funny you mention rolling stock you can't use because you have too many already, i think its locos most people have too many of. Other than the two locos I mentioned, there are no others I really really want at this moment. Regarding rolling stock, I tend to pick up a kit (or RTR) every time I go to the store for some supplies, like styrene or paint. There they are, sitting right next to the cash register, calling to me to take them home. Went to the store an hour ago for one pack of strip styrene, bought an Atlas hopper.

I rarely spend more than 10 minutes chatting it up in the store.

Yes!

Yes, I have copies in each of the bathrooms at home. At work? No way! Nothing says poor work ethics like walking to the john with a magazine. I do have mags at work, which I look thru during lunch. But I know if I see one of my employees entering the bathroom with a mag he'll be told not to do so in the future. Remember the saying "you gotta keep some shade on your shit"? I'd remind him not to be so blatently obvious.

mhdishere

I've "hinted" to my wife that I'd like my track-building supplies (I intend to try hand-laying) for Christmas, and I usually get some other train stuff for Christmas too. I don't know if that counts as buying for myself though.

I've got enough of both now, my main thrust after the holidays will be layout construction, so track supplies, wire, as well as lumber are on the list.

I don't have a LHS,does hanging out on the web count?

Well, now that there's no lawn to mow or leaves to blow, I have time for MR. Except right after a snowstorm that is, when I'll be outside shovelling.

5. How many of you have a railroader magazine beside your favorite toilet? What about the toilet at work? If so, do you bring one or can you just leave it in there? (I keep one handy everywhere with a few other hobby mags too). Be honest.
I don't keep them there, but I usually take one with me! Not at work though, I have a long walk down the hall to the men's room and people give you THAT LOOK if they see you heading down there with reading material.

brakie

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I will just by the little odds and ends that I need till next year.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As I stated nothing plan .BUT! If a good deal shows up I may buy something other then what I have planned.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sure I will hang at the shop and talk since the coffee is hot,fresh and free :thumb: I may not buy anything though and been known to help out if needed.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For most yes..I model the same the year around. :thumb:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
5. How many of you have a railroader magazine beside your favorite toilet? What about the toilet at work? If so, do you bring one or can you just leave it in there?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Only in my home bathroom..I try to avoid the restrooms at work as much as possible..:eek:

cidchase

Hi Dog,

1. Maybe a few toggle switches, but the one thing I've been
yearning for is an orange BNSF SW1500 down in the Jackson,
MS Hobbytown! Makes absolutely no sense, because my
layout-in-progress is all steam, 1930's, SP/DRGW

2. See #1:)

3. I may go see Bill in Memphis and have him order that switcher
for me! I'm not all that shot in the butt with that Jackson store
anyhow!

4. Unless it's a garden RR in the snow country!!:sleeping:

5. Piles of MR and RMC both places (I like to read). :D