I am the...........law!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by movieman, Oct 23, 2010.

1. movieman

movieman Member

Hi all,

Thought I would share this little gem here, not my creation, all credit to whomever created and unfolded it, I found it on a file sharing site and downloaded it, all I did was adjust the scale a little as it was small.

So now you can make your very own Judge Dredd Helmet :mrgreen: I have already made a copy and fibreglass it up to wear out this halloween, I made 2 helmets and Judge costumes to wear out, one male .... one female, only had 2 weeks to make it all in, not quiet finished yet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Picture of my wife test fitting parts of the female costume during construction.

[​IMG]
    This picture is the girl who is wearing the costume on the night, still have gaunlets, belt buckel, holster and boot dressing to finish.... the gun is the comic version that I also found online.
    [​IMG]
    Close up of one of the helmets nearly completed.... needs visor.

I have uploaded the helmet file to the download section and awaiting clearance..... I now have a huge file collection of stuff for costuming found on line, some already unfolded and others I need to unfold.

Please respect the copyright ownership of these items.

:thumb:
  2. silveroxide

silveroxide Well-Known Member

Great cosplay custom. Over at ALIENs site, there is a great download of the Judge Dread peacekeeper. Say Hi to Judge Hershey for me and see you around the forums.
  3. dredd

dredd New Member

I have another file of the comic helmet(found online) ,but i suck at unfolding i'll send it to you if you want
  4. Jakar Nilson

Jakar Nilson New Member

What period/prog/storyline?
  5. battman2036

battman2036 New Member

looks awesome. did you use patterns for the shoulders? I've been working on the eagle shoulder and am now in the prototype phase. this is what the pep file looks like.

[​IMG]
    let me know your thoughts.
  6. movieman

movieman Member

Hi Dredd

Here is the comic Judge Dredd helmet you asked about.... I have uploaded it to the download section and it is awaiting clearance..... the scale should be ok as my friend made a fibreglass version from it ok. I think it is probably the same one you found.

[​IMG]

:thumb:
  7. movieman

movieman Member

Battman2036..

That shoulder eagle is starting to look cool.... no did not prep the shoulder, made them free hand with chrome gold cardboard and then re-enforced them with plastic card.:mrgreen:
  8. battman2036

battman2036 New Member

the shoulder's you made look awesome! i finished pepping the eagle. actually came out very close to the right size. take a look and let me know what you think. i'm adding the images from the full costume design i'm doing which are extremely similar to your build. i think i'm gonna add the rounded shoulder to my pep file based on what i see in your design if you don't mind. the only thing i'm missing is the badge. i;m thinking i'm gonna do the generic badge shape and sculpt the rest.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

sorry for the quality of the pics. can't find the camera so i'm using the phone.
  9. movieman

movieman Member

10. battman2036

battman2036 New Member

@Movieman

excellent link. wish i had that guy's resources. the eagle was resined tonight, but it's cold in the garage so it'll be Sunday before i get back to it. I plan to rondo it inside and out. we'll see how that goes since i've never attempted it. Gonna make some changes to the full uniform design to match yours a bit.

if anyone wants the files let me know. I don't min sharing and would love to see more people create Dredd stuff since it's impossible to find. Curious to see the changes in the allegedly planned movie coming up. I'll post more pics after the resin hardens.
  11. movieman

movieman Member

Battman2036,

I only fibreglass on the inside of my prep items and then coat the outside with Car body filler.... not sure if you already know this, if you want to kick the fibreglass off to set in the cold, warm it with a hair drier.... the chemical reaction that sets the resin is heat dependent. I also only use fibreglass tissue not the heavy mat, you get a lighter... smooth finish, one coat is about the same strength as fac form plastic... 2 coats it very strong. If you need to cut already set fibreglass .... heat up an old kitchen knife (carving knife is best) til it is hot, then cut.... you will see it will go through like a knife through butter. Another trick.... if you need to reshape anything fibreglass.... once more use a hot airdrier on it.... once hot you will find you can bend it to suit you, once cool it will set into the position you set it. Another idea for you eagle, where you need to cut out the area for your arms to move, you can make the eagles feathers in 2 mm styrine plastic and link them together with thin strips of leather or something like under neath.... then they will move like the movie version and be easier to paint.:thumb:

I have worked in the fx industry for nearly 30 years so lets just say I know a trick to two :mrgreen: and materials.

steve
  12. movieman

movieman Member

Ho!!! here is one of the photos from this halloween with all 3 judge outfit.... 2 movie versions and a comic version..... the comic version is being worn at the birmingham memorabilia in a couple of weeks time.

[​IMG]

The comic Judge goes by the name JUDGE MENTAL :mrgreen: good play on words.... his eagle is made in foam for safety sake when out in the pubs :p
  13. battman2036

battman2036 New Member

Movieman,

wanted to try the rondo on this. i was thinking i could give it a smooth coating and use a dremmel to carve the lines for the feathers. I was thinking along the lines of this sculpt:

[​IMG]

I didn't know the reheat trick for the fiberglass. that i will definitely remember. I'm doing a predator bio at the same time and the pep is a bit warped, but only slightly. I used a heat gun to jump start the resin like you suggested so we'll see how it goes. I'm always open to your suggestions and welcome the input. any suggestions for the custom badge? I have a cast resin version but i want to change the name from Dredd. I thought of recasting and sanding down the name plate.

on your armor pieces over the shoulders were those made from sintra type material or something else?
  14. dredd

dredd New Member

This thread gets better and better,for more on the world of Dredd ,check out the fan site and the RPF threads for The fan film Judge Minty.
    Also can anyone make a pep file of Helm from Rouge Trooper?I made a scratch built gunner a while ago,so helm would be cool
  15. movieman

movieman Member

Battman2036,

I love your sculpt version Judge armour :thumb: would like to see how the finished casts come out.

Our shoulder bases were made from foam camping beds for speed as I only had 3 weeks to complete it all for halloween.... the originals were cast in fibreglass and the gold blocks were bolted to it. Here is another tip when trying to get scale from photos, though this only works with people in the photo..... from centre across to centre, the gape between the human eye is 2 1/2 inches.

I normally download the photo, load it into a art package and zoom in on the eye until they measure 2 1/2 cm on a ruler, this then tells me I have a scale set at 1 cm to 1 inch, I then move to the part I want to scale from on the photo and start measuring it and the simply scale up... it proves to be pretty darn accurate.... not matter how big or small the persons head is, the distance between the eyes is always the same.

As for the badge the only way I would change it, is to take a silicone cast from the badge.... from that mold I would make a plaster cast.... you will find plaster a cast can be re carved with a dremal more easier, then seal the plaster badge with 3 or 4 coats of spray varnish and remold it in silicone and hey presto you can cast as many of your resculpt badge as you want.:mrgreen:
  16. battman2036

battman2036 New Member

The sculpt in the photo isn't mine sad to say. On the badge issue, I love the idea of plaster. would never have thought about using that medium instead of the expensive cast alternative. That is definitely the method i'm going to try. AS for the scaling, i never would have thought of that. I've done more complex methods using a photoshop plug-in for forensic analysis which requires you to use a known object. this will be much simpler. I'll continue to update here if it's ok with you and look forward to more of your items.
  17. movieman

movieman Member

For all you fans of Judge dredd here is a model I unfolded.... the evil Judge Fire, though without the fire effect, this model stands 90cms tall :mrgreen: about 150 pieces.

[​IMG]

The file is to large to upload to this forums download section so I have uploaded it to 4share for you to download it from.

LINK: http://www.4shared.com/file/EAA4bKd6/90_cm_Judge_fire_from_2000AD.html
    Have fun.....
  18. DouglasMorency

DouglasMorency New Member

Very cool uniforms, I loved this movie, and I will have to build this.

Thanks
    Doug
  19. ARMORMAN

ARMORMAN FOUNDATION CORNERSTONE

DOH! I missed this figure!