I am in deep kimchee

McFortner

Sep 9, 2002
Stockbridge, GA
Visit site
I noticed that our desktop computer cpu was getting a little warm, so I went and bought a new, larger cpu cooler for it. Got the old one off and put the new one on. I powered up the computer and nothing. Not even the booting up beep! Looks like I fried the Athlon 2100+ that I got on sale a while back! :(

Now my wife is pissed at me because I've killed 2 computers in 1 year and I feel like 100% doggie doo. And with us closing on the house, unless it is a hell of a good deal, I'm gonna be living under the house for a while to come. Any suggestions?

Michael the Computer Killer

belg

Apr 28, 2001
New Jersey USA
Visit site
Mike it looks like you better start bailing with the big bucket because the little one just won't cut it anymore. I think you better make sure the wife's honey do list gets done and then maybe get a second job to pay for the new computer and you'll be all set. :D ;)

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Just for kicks, I'd try and re-seat the chip. I don't know if you took it out to change the heat sink, but you might have bent a pin putting it back, or if you didn't maybe a pin that is not in the socket. Also, make sure you didn't jar another cable loose. Unless you saw some smoke or hear a pop, I don't believe you fried the processor.

But..., if you can't fix it, make sure your wife knows that computer chips only have a life of one year, then they roll over on their own begging to be replaced..:eek: :D

Good luck,

Don

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Mike,Not only am I in deep Kimchee with my girlfriend but in the dog house as well..:eek: I was involved in a bad car wreck on the way to Toronto and Renee and my daughter had to come and get me..Needless to say Renee did not want me to go in the first place and has been yelling about it ever since...All well! Stuff happens..

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Originally posted by Tyson Rayles
What does frying computers have to do with a Korean salad (kim-chee)??? BTW was the 2100 a 2.1 gig?

Kimchee is not that bad, just eat yer way out of it :) Haven't heard that term deep kimchee for a while.

Try putting the old fan back on? Could the new one be pulling down the power supply? Sounds more like a dead supply than CPU to me...

Ty, my understanding is that a 2100 would be expected to perform at a speed similar to or better than an Intel 2100 MHz (2.1GHz), but the actual clock speed is somewhat slower. I guess that says it's a more efficient design. I have two MP1900+ Athelons and they are rated at 1600 MHz or 1.6 GHz.

storm

if u lived here in toronto i would take a look at it. i build PC tey r realy simple to fix. u proble just blew your power suply. if u r geting nothign not even a light on the front when u ture it on then it is the power suply. i just replaced mine i got a new 400 watt one for $35 canadian. i am sure that is all that is wront with yours

McFortner

Sep 9, 2002
Stockbridge, GA
Visit site
The story so far:

With the power off, I removed and reinstalled the memory. No change.

I removed and reinstalled the video card. No change.

I reset the BIOS. No change.

I removed and reinstalled the CPU. No change.

When powered up, the CPU and other fans connected to the motherboard spin up. The CPU fan is in the correct socket. The hard drives and the CDRom and CD-RW spin up. But no BIOS beep to let me know the system is booting up. It just sits there like a giant, expensive paperweight with fans attached.

I am now officially frustrated. And I am in deeper. I'm getting that wonderful line of "I told you so. You never listen to me. It was working fine before you touched it." Ok, so she made 3 good points there. It just doesn't help my confidence hearing that. All I did was remove the old CPU fan/heat sink and put in a larger one. And yes, it is the correct one for the CPU, I checked before I bought it.

So now what?

Michael

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
The fact that everything "spins up" says that it isn't the power supply, at least the 12 volts is OK. There is another cable that supplies power to the processor on most new mother boards. Can you verify with a meter that you have your 5 volts from your power supply? Another way to tell would be to turn it on for a few minutes and see if there is any heat from the processor chip. If it isn't running it the heat sink won't get warm, if it has a serious problem it could get screaming hot. Even if you had the wrong fan, or none at all, the processor would at least try to boot up. It wouldn't run long, but it would at least make the effort. Try unplugging the processor and check for a bent pin and inspect the socket.

I still think your problem is mechanical rather than electrical since you didn't seem to do anything to have it fail electrically. It could be that the processor is bad, but that should be the last choice on the list.

Good luck,

Don

McFortner

Sep 9, 2002
Stockbridge, GA
Visit site
Well, the 5V and the 12V are good. The CPU is not heating up, but the other chips on the board are. I think that I must have buggered up the CPU when I was fighting the old heat sink off of it. That seems to be the most probable cause. I sure miss the Milspec stuff I worked on in the Air Force. It was a lot more rugged than this civilian ka-ka! ;)

Michael

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Originally posted by McFortner I sure miss the Milspec stuff I worked on in the Air Force. It was a lot more rugged than this civilian ka-ka! ;)

Michael
Yeah, but I doubt that you'd pay military prices either.:eek:

Sounds like you have done just about all you can. Voltage checks, re-seated all chips and connectors. Some chips will run very warm, but if you can't keep you finger on one, it is running too hot.. If you can't even get the BIOS to boot, you can't even diagnose anything from there.

One other thought, how about your BIOS battery? That will cause you not to boot.....

Don

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
Re: The story so far:

Originally posted by McFortner

With the power off, I removed and reinstalled the memory. No change.

I removed and reinstalled the video card. No change.

I reset the BIOS. No change.

I removed and reinstalled the CPU. No change.

Michael
Mac - I checked with my friend that builds Desktops: He Said.... Check the CPU again.... But check it with a magnifier, make sure every pin is the same length and straight

Then check the socket make sure you can see every "hole's" (contact sockets) metal.

Then reinstall the chip - Did you have to "pry the chip off the heat sink when you removed the original heat sink??? That means that there was thermo compound on the chip. If there was, you have to get the same stuff for the new heat sink.

Restart the computer

If it still doesnt "wake up" turn it off - The following is the "Last ditch effort"

--- Take out the memory & put it aside where it wont get a static shock

--- unplug the CD & Hard drive cables off the board. Note which one goes where & what side has the "cutout" on the edge.

--- now -- without any memory or drives connected at all... turn it back on.

---- you are dry booting the board -- what should happen is the board should look for the CPU & test it - then drop into bios to ask where the disks & Operating system is.

If this doesn't work, he says that since the CPU was running hot to begin with, it was ready to go anyway.... You just discovered the problem before the "heat sensor" on the motherboard did and shut down the computer.

You can reinstall all the memory & the cables either way now..

Check on e-bay for another CPU ( yeah, I know) It stinks!!!!!!

Good Luck!!!

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Well, the 5V and the 12V are good. The CPU is not heating up, but the other chips on the board are. I think that I must have buggered up the CPU when I was fighting the old heat sink off of it. That seems to be the most probable cause. I sure miss the Milspec stuff I worked on in the Air Force. It was a lot more rugged than this civilian ka-ka! ;)

Michael

Mac, not to say other suggestions are not right, or that your measurements are not right, but I am still suspecting the supply. I have experiance with a dual Athlon board, so this may not all directly apply to your single Athlon.

The Athlon mother boards are heavy on the 5 V PS. A common builders mistake is to use a supply with too little 5 V capacity. Many have used a "P4 ready" power supply with bad results. The Athlon does not require the extra connector, it just uses the standard ATX connector, but requires 25 or 30 Amps of 5V (see motherboard specs for exact amount). Could the bigger fan have pushed it over the limit?

Funny the CPU is not getting warm at all. I suspect it's not getting powered or it's completely dead. It dies a sudden death if it gets powered without a heat sink, or if there is very poor thermal contact between the heatsink and CPU. Even if hte fan fails to spin, it should take a long time to get hot enough to stop working, and it should start getting errors long before it's damaged. I've had 6 or 8 fans die on AMD CPUs of various vintage and they are all still alive. They usually started giving "illegal operations" or blue screens.

If the fan is plugged in, powerd, and working properly, most systems upon power up will spin it for a moment then turn it off until it gets warm. Older systems spin all the time.

Is it a custom built machine?

Do you know what brand/model of motherboard it is?

Do you have a built in small motherboard speaker, or just the external multimedia speakers?

I know where you're coming from. I dropped a hard drive on the mother board of our PC when my wife was in school and had a paper due. We got a new motherboard :) Just toss it in the trunk and come on up to cobblers knob, well get her to go :)

boppa

Jul 21, 2002
australia
au.geocities.com
id say the cpu is fried.when changing or fitting heatsinks,use heatsink compound or the `chewing gum' to get proper thermal conductivity.Also it must be seated properly,if it sits slightly up so that the two flat faces arent in perfect touch an amd will overheat and blow in seconds (intel funnily enough will run for several minutes tho)

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Can I use a Duron (cheaper on ebay) until I can afford a Athlon later on?

Michael
I think you're going to have to check with your M/B specs and see what it will accept.

Sorry that one of us didn't come up with an easier solution for you. The processor certainly is suspect, but should be the last thing you consider after eliminating all other possiblilities.

Good luck,

Don