I am going to die...

McFortner

Sep 9, 2002
Stockbridge, GA
Visit site
...by the hands of my wife if I buy one more train!

I just bought an Amtrack F7 for me (not for my son this time! ;) :eek: :rolleyes: ). But there is so much more out there that I would love to get for my setup. However, I am pretty sure that sh will tie me up and run me over with a real SD-50 if I buy yet something else anytime soon. Do any of you "more experienced" men out there have any ideas on how I can keep from becoming worm food if I want to get something else for my setup?

Michael
(trying hard to stay alive! :D )

Don't fall for it, Michael!! The truth is, she's overjoyed that you're keepin' out of the kitchen (so to speak) on your days off. However, she's playing on your natural guilt over doing something for yourself, so as to bet a BIGGER DIAMOND on your next anniversary. Hey, don't take my word for it, ask Ralph, he's the Behavior Analyst......

(now don't take me too seriously):D

rich maiorano

Apr 27, 2002
levittown pa
my wife does all the time even when am reading this site or mags at stuff any thing to do with me
( but they do say a way to a girls heart is with diamonds:D :D )

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Hi Micheal, Here's something that might work.....

1.One must populate the layout with immense amounts of locos, cars, buildings and etc. so that some thing new is not readily noticed. If the layout is being constructed leaving one's tools and building materials laying around "helter skelter" will suffice.

2.When a new purchase is made just quietly bring it in and place it on the layout without saying anything about it.

3.When the offending purchase is finally noticed just say something like "Oh..that's been there for a long time...you've seen that before".

4.Quickly change the subject to something like..."Let's go out to dinner" or "There's a big sale at the mall."

This method works quite well but usually results in one spending 4-5 times more than you paid for that new loco!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :p:eek:

RI541

Feb 20, 2002
Winchester N.H.
Visit site
smuggle all new purchase's in when she is not home, or in the powder room, My wife loves long hot bubble baths, giving me hours of unoticed smuggleing ops, If you are couaght start crying like a baby and tell her you have an addiction and need help. Refer her to us to get you the help you need :D :D :D

This message will self destruct in 5 seconds

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Hey Guys!!!......I just had a thought (rare for me):D :D :D

Have we been "suckered in"???:eek:

Did Micheal's wife post this thread while he was asleep so that she and all other females can learn the "tricks of our trade"?:eek: :D :D :p

Perhaps we should develop a "secret code" LOL:D :D :D :D :p

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
Make a bet with her. A sure bet on something she don't know about(football, NASCAR, basketball). Something like this
"I'll bet you(insert team, driver here) wins you buy me(insert much needed model railroad stuff here) and if you win I'll buy you(insert whatever here) for you.
Its worked for me.....alot!

McFortner

Sep 9, 2002
Stockbridge, GA
Visit site
Originally posted by eightyeightfan1
Make a bet with her. A sure bet on something she don't know about(football, NASCAR, basketball).

WARNING! Do not use NASCAR questions! My wife loves to spend the weekends watching a bunch of cars make left turns all day long and waiting for the big crash.

If you notice someone on late at night, odds are it is me. My wife is 3 months pregnant and is currently tired all the time, so she goes to bed a lot earlier than I do (but I should go to bed earlier since I have to be at work earlier than she does).

I just remembered that I have a bid on a 0-6-0 and tender on eBay that won't end until tomorrow. This could get ugly.... :eek:

Michael

YakkoWarner

Mar 10, 2001
Orange County, NC.
www.the-gauge.com
excerpt from "The Kevin and Bean 'Master Plan"'

Rule #3- When faced with overwhelming evidence of wrongdoing or misdeed, counter with the bald-faced lie.

Wife: "you have a new train under your arm.
You: "What new train?"
Wife: "That one. Right there, I can see the train in your hand!"
You: "I don't see any new train."
-Wife removes train from your hand opens up the bag
and looks at the date on the receipt...
Wife: "This is today's date. You bough this train today."
You: "What train?"

continue until she stalks out of the room or hits you.

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Guys,You all are doing it wrong.They expect that. The deal is to get HER interested in the hobby.If you have a model house you are going to paint ask HER what color she thinks would be best.Start off easy, like I did with my late wife.Frist thing I knew SHE was building and painting the buildings,help me lay track,solder and just about everything else.Gotta let them think their veiws and opinions is worth while in order to get them interested in the hobby... ;) :D

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
I'll go along with brakie -- only problem is, we go to train shows and all my budget goes on buildings that she wants me to build.
Well, it at least gets the real estate covered.
Don't try to pass off a new item as old unless it has dust on it.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Hey Michael,
Try this. Tell your wife that your layout is an indication of your intention to stick around your happy home. The bigger and more expensive it becomes the more obvious your commitment to your home life and marriage! Or, you COULD follow Brakie's excellent advice. :)
Best of luck!

Cid, thanks for the referral. I'll send you the ususal 10%. :D
Ralph

IMRL393

Aug 7, 2001
Visit site
My wife and I each have an equal amount of "play money" built into the budget. I don't complain about how she spends her money, and she doen't complain about mine (unless I "over borrow" from future months using the ol'credit card - but she can, too, if she wants).

This seems to work out just fine.

My problem right now is that I have borrowed my limit for this year (thru December), which is as far as I can spend "ahead".

Oh well ... still have a lot of "goodies" coming ...

(Atlas Dash 8-40B "patch" BNSF, Digitrax Zephyr, and Atlas RI H15-44 all on order)

... so I shouldn't complain (but sometimes I still do)!

Fair is fair ... give her equal spending rights for HER stuff !!!

- George

Matt Probst

Mar 15, 2002
Hershey,Pa.
Visit site
Exactly George! My wife is our families CFO and all expenses go thru her approval process first. But if she drops 50$ in her favorite cross-stitching store, The next time I'm in the hobby shop, 50$ gets spent on me!!

(believe me, I encourage her to blow the budget on her hobby!!!!;) :D :) :D

Matt--Hershey, Pa.

NYCentral

Aug 29, 2002
Albany, NY
Visit site
Originally posted by cidchase
Don't fall for it, Michael!! The truth is, she's overjoyed that you're keepin' out of the kitchen (so to speak) on your days off. However, she's playing on your natural guilt over doing something for yourself, so as to bet a BIGGER DIAMOND on your next anniversary. Hey, don't take my word for it, ask Ralph, he's the Behavior Analyst......

(now don't take me too seriously):D
Just make sure it is only slightly bigger, golden rule of marrage
"You must always buy a more expensive item each and every time"
If you go up too fast it gets way out of hand too early, go up slowly!!! save money in the future!!

Wolv33

Aug 30, 2002
Smalltown, MO
Visit site
Hmmmmmm....

So does that mean I am the ONLY one that has a Woman that has spent over $3,000 on their hobby for them this year?

I could not believe it, but I sat down and figured it all up....She has spent well over $3,000 on me this year, and is LARGELY responsible for the majority of motive power and rolling stock I have!

Think she is the one that has bought me the 12 or so BN engines, and I know she bought the EMD GP59 demonstrator for me. I know I have received at least 150+ cars from her since January. Come to think of it, she has bought me a few structure kits too.

I guess I should also be thankful she is into N scale steam too, huh?

:eek: :D :eek: :D :eek: :D :eek:

Not to mention going to GATS and other shows with me.

I truly have someone to be thankful for.

You guys should ask L&N Debbie or my Woman for advice. LOL!

Later.

rich maiorano

Apr 27, 2002
levittown pa
am I can most of the time beat her to thr mailbox and hide it before she sees it does't always work that way:mad: :mad: :mad: shes is cute when she's piss doe:D :D :mad: :D :mad: :D :mad: :eek: :eek: rich

RI541

Feb 20, 2002
Winchester N.H.
Visit site
In all seriousness (on my part) I take the wife to the big shows with me, She can spot a RI car/loco farther away than I can.

My wife figures if the bills are paid then I can have some fun, She'd rather she me at home with the family working on the lay-out than in the the bar. Even though I hate the bar scene it's working for me:D :D :D

I even dragged her through a yard in Deerfield Mass. to take pictures after a snow storm that left 6 inches of fresh powder on the ground. She had phnamonia to boot but she did have fun. Or at least she said she did.