I-16 Rata Cockpit WIP

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by bclemens, Feb 5, 2008.

1. bclemens

bclemens Member

Thanks, RG. One tip I would recommend off the top: when you print out your model on card stock, print a second copy on plain paper. This came in handy today. After I mounted the horizontal and vertical stabilizers, I used the paper printout for their fairings. Will do the same for the wing fairings. It would have been neigh impossible for me using the card stock.

Hi, Newcomer. The door was just cut carefully from the outside skin. I had previously installed stringers in the cockpit, so the opening has some believability. I backed the door with a second piece of paper cut from the spare paper print-out of the internal cockpit to match the color. Finally I added two small paper tubes to simulate the latch slides and fashioned two sliding latches from silver colored paper. The assembly was then just glued back on the bottom of the opening.

Cheers,
    Bruce
  2. bclemens

bclemens Member

Empennage Complete on my Little Rat

Another gloomy day in Missouri- but a nice day to be inside with the knife, scissors, and glue!
    Here's some progress on my Little Rat...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheers!
    Bruce
  3. dansls1

dansls1 Member

Coming along nicely ;)
  4. bclemens

bclemens Member

A Brief Exhaust Stack Demo

Thanks, Dan.
    I would like to show how I created the little exhaust stacks for this model. I think they came out well primarily due to what I used for the material...

[​IMG]

Above you see a piece of mat board- the kind of cardboard that picture framers use. You can get scraps cheap at most framing shops. Mat board has all kinds of colors, and it usually is on a white base. This particular kind has a black base and that is what makes it useful for this application.

[​IMG]

Next I took my trusty leather punch and made a small hole.

[​IMG]

Then I scribed about half way through the mat board.

[​IMG]

I carefully lifted the brown top layer off the board.

[​IMG]

And the back is black...

[​IMG]

I initially begin to shape the piece into a tube around a toothpick.

[​IMG]

Then I take a small piece of copper electrical wire...

[​IMG]

and roll the tube tightly around the copper wire mandrel.

[​IMG]

Using a toothpick I apply white glue along the seam and roll tightly again.

[​IMG]

Here is the tube ready to slide off the wire and then the end will be carefully trimmed up.

[​IMG]

I believe it makes a much better stack than the stock print would.

[​IMG]

And here it is installed. This one will be one of a pair in that recess.
    I guess my point is that we should be willing to experiment with materials and techniques. As long as it is paper, it's fair game ;)

Cheers,
    Bruce
  5. bclemens

bclemens Member

More Rata Progress

Spent another pleasant evening. Tonight's take was the gun covers, barrels, intakes, and venturi tube.
    Cheers!
    Bruce

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. bclemens

bclemens Member

Slow Progress on Rata

Still moving forward on the build ;)
    Almost ready to mount the wings.

[​IMG]

I had a real struggle with the wheel wells though. The wells didn't line up accurately with the openings in the lower wing skin. I don't know if it was because I built the wings out of sequence or what. The instructions seemed a little vague in this area... :confused:

[​IMG]

Anyway I had to do a little patchwork of the lower skin to get things to look OK.

Onward...
    Cheers!
    Bruce
  7. dansls1

dansls1 Member

Wings look good in spite of your issues! Still doing a clean job!
  8. NULLMOON

NULLMOON Member

ahh so its not just me that gets beat by the wheel wells ive attempted this model twice now :cry:
  9. bclemens

bclemens Member

Thanks, Dan,
    Nullmoon- sorry you had problems too- but at least I'm glad it's not just me ;)
    -Cheers!
    Bruce
  10. bclemens

bclemens Member

The Struggle Continues

I hope I am over the worst of in now. Mounting the wings and fairings was very difficult. As it was with the wheel wells, it continued with the wings. The fairings just didn't seem to match the areas that needed to be covered. Lots of cosmetic surgery and oil pastel application was needed.

[​IMG]

As you can see I ended up piecing together a patchwork-quilt of parts and pieces to get the fairings in place. wall1 I am not thrilled with it, but it looks OK at arm's length. I shall be glad to move on...the worst is over and I can start having fun with the finishing touches! :oops:

[​IMG]

Cheers!
    Bruce
  11. lriera

lriera Member

It looks very good to me. Please add those finishing touches and show them.
    Thank you.
  12. bclemens

bclemens Member

The little Rat's on his feet.

Well, it's been hard for me to find the time to be at the bench the last week to 10 days, so I have only made a little progress on the Rata.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I love it when a model reaches this stage. It begins to take on its personality and you can see the end of the job on the horizon.

Building a paper model is a long-term relationship. I see that expressed in posts on this forum in many different ways. That is one of the things that draws me to this hobby- You get lots of entertainment for so little investment ;)

The main thing is to not burn-out on a project before it's done. I have lots of motivation to get this one off the bench though- My Orlik F-85 Goblin is waiting...