I-16 Modele Kartonowe

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by FredZ KSAC, Apr 29, 2004.

1. FredZ KSAC

FredZ KSAC Member

Greetings All. I have been a paper cutter since a model building buddy came back from Germany in the mid 1960's with a suitcase full of Wilhelmshaven kits which we divided. Still have some and still build one on occasion. Up until now, I never tried a polish model and the I-16 looks very good. My question has to do with some parts, mostly formers, that have an * next to the number. From looking at the instruction sheet, I would guess that these parts need to be laminated but nowhere can I find how thick. Perhaps the only thick item is my head. :) I am also guessing that the same format is used on the other kits from this site. If anyone has built this item or has any info that I can use, I would appreciate it. I read the site often and find it very useful. Thanks for the help.
  2. charliec

charliec Active Member

The thickness of laminating board required is usually embedded in the Polish text - look for the * associated with a size in mm. If not then you may be able to deduce the thickness required by measuring the cut outs on wing spars for ribs or wherever two reinforced parts are joined.

Regards,

Charlie
  3. FredZ KSAC

FredZ KSAC Member

Charlie, That's what I thought at first, but I cannot find any text, Polish or otherwise, associated with this download - two sheets for the model and one sheet of diagram instructions. I will give another look around. Thanks for the quick reply.
  4. Darwin

Darwin Member

Fred, usually a good guess is 1 mm cardboard. Since it's a download, first give it a try laminating the asterisked parts to thin (sodapop carton or cerial box) cardboard. My guess is that it will work, and at least will give you an idea if you might need something a bit thicker (like two laminations of cardboard).
  5. charliec

charliec Active Member

My apologies - I didn't pick up it was a downloaded model. On the Morane N.1
    model from the same author the * means reinforce with 0.7 - 0.8 mm
    board. I guess the I-16 is the same.

Regards,

Charlie
  6. FredZ KSAC

FredZ KSAC Member

Thanks all for the info. As I stated in the first posting "Perhaps the only thick item is my head. :) " I looked at the sheet with the parts in question and noticed a dotted line containing all of the former parts, the wheel parts and the wing spars, planform & ribs. Along with the following notation - 'Naklelc na tekture 0.6-0.7mm' This I figure is to tell me to laminate the parts to 0.6-0.7mm material. Makes sense, but still does not explain the * on only certain parts. Oh, well - I think I will continue muddeling along. I enjoy following this forum and I think I am actually learining something.