Hyper-detailed Borg Cube WIP

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Millenniumfalsehood, Oct 25, 2009.

1. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

I like the current models of the Borg Cube on the net, but for me the only way a Cube would look good would be if it were multi-layered and greebled to the max. So instead of waiting for a model of one I'm working on my own.

It will have a core which is reinforced, three layers of detail, and a fourth layer which is basically a bunch of boxes and tubes that will be added as the final layer. I plan on basically building about ten or fifteen boxes and an equal number of conduits to glue on the surface.

Here's a picture of what I've got so far:

[​IMG]

Keep in mind this is the inner layer, right above the core. The currently square holes will have 45 degree faces put on them later on about half of the holes. The remaining two box-like layers will have progressively more and more empty space, and each layer will attach to the one above it via standoffs. Those will be made by extruding some of those small squares that currently make up the surface. Some of those squares will be extruded for box details to compliment the surface detail.

The finished size should be from 20-25" wide, long, and tall and will include a display base, and maybe an in-scale Enterprise-D.
  2. Darth Windius

Darth Windius Member

Great Idea

Better than all these easy to build but as flat and sad as an Arizona highway (seen by a Frenchie, remembersign1)

I would love a really 3D Borg cube:thumb::wave:, far more than eight 2D flat sided classic cubes:cry::cry:......

I'll follow your work, surely:thumb:. Sad to be helpless :oops: but all my encouragements for you:wave::wave:

As for in-scale Enterprise (personnally, I prefer E than D), I think that with a 25" cube, the enterprise will be very very tiny...:twisted: What is called in Business a "Micro-Enterprise" sign1
  3. Millenniumfalsehood

Well, I was thinking more along the lines of the scale seen in "Q, Who?" when the D was next to the Cube.

[​IMG]

But an Enterprise-E would be possible. Perhaps I could rescale Zoushu's and recolor it, with his permission.
  4. Gearz

Gearz Member

Nice approach MF!.. I've got a Tactical Cube underway for myself using the same philosophy ~ lotz and lotz of layers. :thumb:

These are three really nice 'Borg-ish' textures I used on my Borg Renegade Ship, they might come in handy to you or Jones. ( I'm sorry I don't know who created them.)

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

5. ekuth

ekuth Guest

Ambitious! I have some idea what you're letting yourself in for... :twisted:
  6. Millenniumfalsehood

Okay, got a little more work done on the Cube. This time it's the second layer.

[​IMG]

Like I said in the first post, there will be progressively bigger holes in the outermost layer.

I may be tempted to do a Tactical Cube eventually using this model, if you don't mind Gearz. Thanks for the textures! I was thinking about using either homemade textures or a photo of the studio miniature, and those would save me work if I used textures. :mrgreen:
  7. Gearz

Gearz Member

Umm..mind? nope, I won't mind, the TC I'm doing is just a one off as a gift for a friend. 1:1700 scale which works out to approx 88 cm ( I hope) Apart from the scale issue of Standard V Tactical, I'm cheating and making it a 3 in one, with the TC Armour removable ( for a standard cube) and one face with a Tunnel & Sphere ( Scene where the Sphere escapes in First Contact) I'd love to light it, maybe. :rolleyes:

Looking forward to seeing this one progress MF ~ innovative! ~ [ gets out note pad ]

:thumb:
  8. Millenniumfalsehood

Oh, I forgot to post a pic of the reinforcement for the core cube:

[​IMG]

It'll be pretty strong, I should think.

I'm currently working on the outermost layer, after which I'll do the layer-four greebles.
  9. cp1963

cp1963 New Member

Great idea, I'll be following this.
  10. Millenniumfalsehood

Okay, I got the outermost cube-layer finished:

[​IMG]

Now isn't that starting to look more like a Borg Cube? :cool: I'm beginning to work on the last layer, which is a pattern of about ten or fifteen cubist shapes and 45 degree conduits.
  11. Millenniumfalsehood

Okay, got that layer done:

[​IMG]

You guys'll probably hate me, but I'm going to add even MORE detail, by placing random squares and circles on this layer, plus some horizontal and vertical conduit. It just wouldn't be a Borg ship without detail out the wazoo. :cool:
  12. Darth Windius

Darth Windius Member

More and more impressive!!!!

I (and many others I think) do not hate you:thumb: (until I began to cut out the tiny multiple parts, and try to figure how I can glue so many random squares, circles, tubes and so on :curse:wall1 sign1)

Please go on, I am with you, the more details, the more original and better the model :thumb::thumb:

But keep on living, don't go mad or "borgified" wall1 with this model:wave:

An idea: is it possible to print intermediate layers on thick transparencies, to benefit 3D aspect without multiplying too much the little parts?
  13. Millenniumfalsehood

Okay, here's the final Borg Cube model. I'm not going to include a Sphere or launch tube, because I'm pretty satisfied. Later I can modify it if I or you or anyone else want to. Perhaps I could release an upgrade pack even.

[​IMG]

Now to work on the display stand and mini-Enterprise-D and -E.:cool:
  14. Darth Windius

Darth Windius Member

My goodness!!!!

Fantastic!!!!:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

I WANT IT!!!!!!!announce1

And waiting for the Borg Sphere:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Maybe just adding some leds, and it can be more than perfect :goldcup:
  15. Juckiz

Juckiz New Member

It's wonderful how a "simple" cube shaped ship can be so interesting :thumb:
  16. Millenniumfalsehood

Thanks! :mrgreen:

I designed the outer greeble layer as a 'sandbox' kit, so you could build the basic cube and then detail it however you want. I'll be including backup copies of each basic shape.
  17. Jones Brandon

Jones Brandon Member

well i'm not going to post any borg model i'm doing now my work is not like! but love the cube ! Millenniumfalsehood :thumb::thumb:
  18. cp1963

cp1963 New Member

The more detail you add, the more interested I get. Great work and thank you.
  19. Jones Brandon

Jones Brandon Member

Millenniumfalsehood great job on cube man!
  20. Millenniumfalsehood

Dude, please don't! The only other Borg Cube models on the net are those tiny little ones which are 3 in wide which I don't like to build because they're too small. Besides, I'm catering to the detail-crazy crowd.