Humm, kinky, aye?

zedob

Dec 26, 2004
Chicopee, MA
I just purchased 4 Atlas code 83 #4 turnouts for my layout. I normally don't buy Atlas track, but the LHS didn't have any #4's in code 70 and since this layout will eventually be torn down, I bought cheap and easiest to slap down.

i was fairly impressed with the detail, or lack of out of scale spikes. The rail profile is top heavy, but I figure that the majority of people who will get to see this layout won't be able to tell anyways. My biggest gripe is what looks to be a manufactured kink in the stock rail. I say manufactured because all four of the turnouts have his imperfection to a degree.

I'm not really worried about it because I can make it work (I've handlaid turnouts before, but I just don't want to do that this time around), but I was wondering if anyone else here has seen this before?

Attachments

• switch_kink.jpg
    switch_kink.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 23

zedob

Dec 26, 2004
Chicopee, MA
Yeah, I didn't figure they would be the best turnouts, but I was trying to get off cheaper (we'll see). I wanted to use code 70 for mainline and turnouts, but the turnout selection was rather slim, so I decided to use code 83. A little heavy for my era, but the selection was much better. I really didn't want to use #4's, but it does buy a few extra inches of valuable mainline trackage.

I had bought some of CV's turnouts, but due to my eventual move i didn't want to use up the good stuff yet, plus the LHS didn't have any loose 70.

Relic

Nov 6, 2005
Nova Scotia
I have at least a dozen Atlas switches ,they all seem to work well, although there only 1.5 years old but they all have that little kink innem

zedob

Dec 26, 2004
Chicopee, MA
I went out and bought a few of the atlas #6 turnouts and they seem to be fine. It may have been that batch of #4's. Ehh, nothing a crowbar and a bunch of spikes won't be able to handle.