Humidity and locomotives

kf4jqd

Hello Everyone:

This summer has been a rainy and cool one here in Wiscsonsin. In the basement where my layout is. It's very damp. Yes, there is a dehumidifier running. It's still damp on my side of the basement. I was wonder, could this hurt the electrical pickups on the locomotives? I have already brought up 3 to the upstairs. Should I bring up the rest? I do notice my track is getting alittle "black". The "Bright-Boy" does clean it.

Thanks,
Andy

George

Andy,

Humidity isn't good for anything except plants.

If you have a window you can open, do so to help air the place out. How quickly does the dehumidifier fill up? Perhaps you need another one by the layout, as it sounds as if the one you have is elsewhere in the basement.

Another source of humidity beyond mother nature is a clothes dryer, especially if it's not vented to the outside. Could that be the source? It's awfully early in the year to have a problem with humidity, despite the rains.

Also, humidity would have nothing to do with your track getting black unless you're using brass. If that's not the case, sounds like soot from the furnace to me.

George.

shamus

Registered Member
Andy my friend,
Better take the loco's out of there at night as dampness will cause havoc with the brushes in the loco's.

waver.gif

http://www.badger-creek.co.uk

[This message has been edited by shamus (edited 06-07-2001).]

Woodie

Andy,

I get a lot of "black" on the tracks too. It appears to be the lubricant from the locos. It just wipes off, and is sorta greasy.

TOOT!

kf4jqd

Thanks everyone!

This weekend is going to be a true summer weekend. In the 80's!

smile.gif
Have a good one
smile.gif

Andy