Human Powered Vehicals

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by lizzienewell, Oct 27, 2006.

1. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

I'm going to be volunteering to help out with a science fair. In chatting with an organizer I remembered that my husband had been a speaker at the fair on the subject of HPV(human power vehicals). I have 3 recumbent bicycles. This set me to thinking about other HPV and about possibly modeling some of them.
    Have any of you modeled such airplanes as The Gossamer Condor, The Gossamer Albatross, or The Icarus?
    They would be a challenge since their skin is clear plastic sheeting and so would probable be best models with shrinkwrap.

How about human-powered hydrofoils--The Decavitator? Woops that goes in ships. Human powered submarines?

--Lizzie
  2. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

I'm going to be volunteering to help out with a science fair. In chatting with an organizer I remembered that my husband had been a speaker at the fair on the subject of HPV(human power vehicals). I have 3 recumbent bicycles. This set me to thinking about other HPV and about possibly modeling some of them.
    Have any of you modeled such airplanes as The Gossamer Condor, The Gossamer Albatross, or The Icarus?
    They would be a challenge since their skin is clear plastic sheeting and so would probable be best models with shrinkwrap.

How about human-powered hydrofoils--The Decavitator? Woops that goes in ships. Human powered submarines?

--Lizzie
  3. morewings

morewings New Member

gossamer albatros

Hi lizzienewell,

some time ago I developped a paper model of the gossamer albatros.
    It's in scale 1:100.
    It was only for my personel collection, without instructions.

I hope you enjoy it
    Roman

Attached Files:

4. morewings

morewings New Member

gossamer albatros

Hi lizzienewell,

some time ago I developped a paper model of the gossamer albatros.
    It's in scale 1:100.
    It was only for my personel collection, without instructions.

I hope you enjoy it
    Roman
  5. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Nice little model you got there Roman :)
    Chris
  6. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Nice little model you got there Roman :)
    Chris
  7. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

now why would you keep this one a secret?

its great!!!!

thanks.

Jon
  8. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

now why would you keep this one a secret?

its great!!!!

thanks.

Jon
  9. sparrowhawk

sparrowhawk Member

This is some great news: I own an ancient Radius Dino LWB recumbent, an Alleweder velomobile (presently partly disassembled) and - most recently - a Steintrike recumbent trike. all of them are tremendous fun to throw around the backlanes or to travel long distances in a most relaxing and environmetn friendly, thus highly enjoyable way.
    There even is a cardboard kit of the dutch Mango velomobile available at http://www.velomobiel.nl/ Go to "Mango" on the opening page, then click the Union Jack flag in the next window and then "cutout paper kit". This one is a fairly simple kit but it still loks nice on your office desk.
    Funny thing: I racked up the courage to build my Alleweder kit from sheet aluminium once I understood that the building techniques are very similar to cardboard building, but XXL!

Greetings, Martin
  10. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

Roman and Martin,

Thanks. I saved copies of both models. If only I had time to build them. It's great knowing that other HPV enthusiasts are around and making models.
    I have a Vision recumbent bike, a Greenspeed trike, and a Greenspeed tandem trike.

---Lizzie
  11. sparrowhawk

sparrowhawk Member

@ Roman: This is a fine model. Don´t you want to introduce it on www.kartonbau.de as well?
    @ Lizzie: I thought about a Greenspeed GTE too, when buying a recumbent trike last autumn. The only problem was: There was no example to test ride here in Germany, so I went for a Steintrike from Austria with it´s superb customers support and lots of customizing possibilities.

I could develop a cardboard kit of my Alleweder, would be a nice change from those WWII fighters. But for today I got the annual inspection of my Steintrike on my agenda.

Greetings, Martin
  12. morewings

morewings New Member

13. sparrowhawk

sparrowhawk Member

Yepp, this is Warren Beauchamp´s Barracuda Streamliner. Thanks for the link!