Huh?

jim currie

Jun 29, 2003
arizona
Visit site
this little jewel ran as the passenger service on the Colorado Eastern from 1888 to 1915 the origin of this loco is not know but there were two or more owners before the C&E. looks like some master mechanic cleaned out his scrap box to come up with a tender.

Attachments

• C&E.jpg
    C&E.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 8

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Looks to me to be a prime candidate for a kitbash. Make the tender into a 4-wheel bobber tender and use the trucks from the tender on the "Pullman". I'd also change that Pennsy-style mounting of the headlight: centre it on the smokebox where it belongs. This would also free up the space for a nice Elesco feedwater heater.

Wayne

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Poverty Acres, North Carolina
Visit site
If you did all that Wayne you would destroy what could have been a beautiful "there's a prototype for everything" model. Everything that would make this project unique would be lost, and it would just be another so-so, ho-hum model. In other words it's not "a prime candidate for a kitbash, it IS a kitbash! :)

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
I'm not so sure about "beautiful", but you do have a point: the Elesco system wasn't introduced until 1921, so that would probably have been applied by a subsequent owner. And I'm sure that Parlor/Lounge/Solarium/ Observation must have rode like an oxcart: surely management would have made the improvement that I suggested if only to avoid lawsuits from injured patrons. We have to remember that the prototype evolved over time, embracing new technology as it became available, although I can't see too much of that here. And I also find it hard to believe that the two previous owners didn't have a hand in making changes to the original equipment that resulted in what we see in the photo, so yes, it is a kitbash. I was merely extrapolating what might have come next. You have to admit, a woodburner with an Elesco would be pretty unique. I also think that maybe an all-weather cab would nice too, it would allow that poor guy to come in off the tender, although that would require a stoker, which would require a change to woodchips, which would.....? Clearly, the project could get out of hand by the time we updated things to the end of the steam era. I model the '30's, so I would have to modernize it or scrap it: what's shown would only be acceptable for the 1888 - 1915 period.

Wayne

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
That is the bomb, can you imagine what a ride that coach was. Get a trainload of ornary railfans on that thing and it'll be wheely poppin' in no time. What a find, thanks, Jim. :thumb:

ausien

Sep 14, 2004
Sydney, Austrailia
A little like my own RR, not top of the line, but what was and is available, this would make a verry nice modle in "N" scale, (now where could I get one?) I have a 2-4-0 mech,
the rest will need a little finding, fixing, moulding, lets see, lets see....steve