Huge rumor: Athearn to release RTR SD45T-2's

Dave Plummer

This reported to me at the LHS this morning from the owner who is at the NMRA show. This could be huge if it turns out to be true!

Dave

atsfman

Dave Plummer said:
This reported to me at the LHS this morning from the owner who is at the NMRA show. This could be huge if it turns out to be true!

Dave
TrainOrders forum is carrying the list of roads names, etc. Seems Athearn is also doing an SD45-2 along with the SD45-2T, and the dash 2 will include Santa Fe. I am have to consider running an Athearn.

NYC-BKO

Another forum states that this is just a rumor, but with the RPP SD45-2 shell I don't know why they wouldn't do it. It does say that Athearn did announce the GP-35 from the RPP shell. Good I need some!!!

pdt

Athearn will do the SD45-2 from the RPP shell, but what I've heard about the SD45T-2 is that it's all new. The GP35 is one I'm looking forward to. They were very common in photos I have of the Santa Fe around Tehachapi Loop.

There's also word that two different manufacturers are going to produce the MP15 and MP15AC. That should be interesting. I'd love to have SP 2727 (it was a fixture at the Horne St. yard in Fort Worth).

Dave Plummer

The SD45-2 may not be comming accoring to Train Orders forum. Seems odd since they have the dies for the shells. I guess a little patience is in order.

Can anyone keep us up to date on the great Harry Wong photo albums that always get posted after these events?

Dave

pdt

2slim said:
Here's a photo which was posted on Yahoo group 'Western prototype modelers ' by Harry Wong I think, sorry if I am wrong. This is pre production from Athearn.

http://www.pbase.com/image/31216721

2slim :thumb:
Close, in a way I suppose, but that's Ryan "Espeeboy" Martin's gallery. He and Harry took several photos together at the Vegas show last year and both have Pbase accounts.

Dave Plummer

Take it from a guy who has kit bashed two of these puppies, that model is AMAZINGLY good. Notice the roof conduits and the airline for the roof top bell. Can wait to see the finished product.

This thing will smash many boycotts!

Dave

pdt

The SD50 really set a new standard, even beyond the SD70M/75M in the Genesis line, as far as what's to be expected from Athearn. It appears that this locomotive is living up to that standard. In fact, with the bell and air line applied to the model and the see-through radiator intakes, I think it's safe to say they've exceeded expectations.

Look for Harry Wong's photos in the next day or so.

pdt

Here's the word from Harry Wong, and you won't believe the first photo he has posted of the SD45T-2:

Hello All,

I'm finally back from the NMRA 2004 National Train
Show in Seattle. A great trip!

Our Thanks to Ryan "Espeeboy" Martin for passing on
the news live from the show floor from me Friday
morning. Judging from forum traffic, seems that the
recent announcements have truly gotten folks excited a
bit more than usual!

Truly, the showstopper for me (as a mid-70's-early
80's era SP modeler), and a great many others at the
show was the awesome new Athearn HO SD45T-2! Right
behind that is the Intermountain FP7 and FMC 5283 cu
ft double door lumber boxcar from Intermountain
(suitable for SP/SSW/BN and others), Atlas N-scale
2-truck Shay on display and other goodies!

I gotta say though.. the all-new-tooling Athearn
SD45T-2 is stunningly executed, even in its
pre-production form, and I am certain that I myself,
as an espee modeler will be purchasing these in
multiple six-packs!

N scalers are not to be left out, as Intermountain
also announced an N scale SD45T-2..

So:

HO: Athearn all-new HO SD45T-2 HO scale

and..

N: Intermountain N SD45T-2 & SD45-2 in N scale

Much more on this to come soon on my upcoming photo
album to be published in phases this week, but here's
a good start below.. Keep checking back for updates.

http://www.pbase.com/tracktime/nmra2004

Best Regards,
Harry Wong

dean

This release is a welcomed model by all SP and DRGW fans! From the shots Harry has provided, this appears to be a nicely detalied model. It will be nice to see one finished in both roads!

R/Dean
Santa Fe all the Way - Emporia Sub circa 1976

dean

Thanks Bob, been taking time to get caught up on modeling and chores around the house. Nice to see familar names and faces here. Thanks go to Jim Fitch for letting me know about this forum and the fellow members from the Atlas Forum that are here.

dean
Santa Fe All the Way - Emporia Sub Circa 1976

dean

Wow, those ATSF SD26's look sharp and that is a pre-production model I am guessing we are seeing! Harry, many thanks for the front line report and the pictures so those of us that could not get to the left coast can see what is being offered.

Espeenut

...hey there Dave, I was there, I saw it, its even better up close and personal, they had to pry me away so others could take a look as well. John Engstrom asked "...so I guess you like it..." Boy, understatement of the year!! This is going to set me back a few dollars as I'll need at least four or more of these puppies!
...chat more with you later,

Lorne Miller

dean

Just from the pre-production shots that Harry and others have posted, I am going to have to think real hard to justify having a couple of these in the middle of Kansas on the ATSF! :thumb:

atsfman

dean said:
Just from the pre-production shots that Harry and others have posted, I am going to have to think real hard to justify having a couple of these in the middle of Kansas on the ATSF! :thumb:

Hey Dean, I have two on pre-order already of the SD26. I have a couple of the SD24's already, and they get run often during op sessions, even though they never made it to 1989. I guess as we get older, we get more forgiving of those things, however, only had the BLI 3751 out during an op session once, and it stopped the session. Gotta get those workers in line.

Anyway those SD26's will look just as good in OKlahoma as in Kansas.

Bob