Hubble Space Telescope Build

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by CardStalker, Mar 1, 2008.

1. CardStalker

CardStalker Member

Next is parts 51 & 52. Cut out these parts. Flip over and color black. Then roll these into a cone and a cylinder. Then glue together. Then glue this assmebly to the bace as shown.

Attached Files:

2. CardStalker

CardStalker Member

Next comes the cage. We start with the circles. Parts 57, 58, & 59. I made 2 copies of these parts and clear coated them. I made 2 copies so I could glue two sides together and make a stronger ring. Cut the rings out and the tab areas but not the centers. Then glue the same circles to each back side. Then cut out the centers.

Attached Files:

3. CardStalker

CardStalker Member

Till next time. My best to all.
  4. littlemodeler

littlemodeler Member

its looking great Cardstalker! i began building this sometime ago and i stalled on the interior. your pics are really helpful. i can't wait to see the final product:thumbs:
  5. CardStalker

CardStalker Member

Hello all. Whats next, oh the cage (Support Structure). I printed 2 copies of parts 53,54,55, & 56 and clear coated both sets. I scored 1 set on the outside like instructed and 1 set on the inside. That way 1 set will fold in and 1 set will fold out. I did this to make it stronger. Next I glued the parts so they over lapped each other and when done it is 1 solid structure. And the end result is a free standing cage.

Attached Files:

6. CardStalker

CardStalker Member

Next, take ring 57 and slide it into the cage at an angle. Work slowly and snap the cage into the slots in the ring. There is still flexablility in the cage and ring but do it slow. Then follow with the next ring 58 in the middle of the cage. Note the orrantation of the cage to the rings. When done apply some glue to the inside and bottom of the ring cage interface. Set aside to dry for a while. When dry, snap ring 59 to the top of the cage. Make sure that the cage is sticking out on the top and press the cage into the ring completely. Then turn it over up side down on a flat surface. Use a device like tweezers to press each connection on the ring down and flush with the flat surface. Work around slowly till all are flush. Then from the inside glue the intersections.

Attached Files:

7. CardStalker

CardStalker Member

Next is the Secondary Mirror Assembly. Parts 61,62, 63,63a, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, & 69. Note at this point part 65 is maked 60 it is a ring. Cut out part 61 nad remove every other tab. Flip over and paint black. Roll and glue into a tube and glue. Next cut out part 62 and filp over and paint black. Roll into a cone and glue. Glue these two parts together. Cut out 65 and drop into the assembly and glue from the inside. I made 2 copies of 65 as the back side is to be painted with the chrome paint as it is the secondary mirror.

Attached Files:

8. CardStalker

CardStalker Member

Next are parts 63 & 63a. Cut them out but leave 63 a little oversize on the cut. Glue 63 to the back of 63a. When dry cut out 63. Next is part 60. Cut out and roll into a cyclinder and glue.

Attached Files:

9. CardStalker

CardStalker Member

Next cut out part 64 and drop through part 60 and glue from the back side. Next take parts63/63a and part 60/64 and glue together. Then glue the 2 assemblys together making sure the seams line up with each other.

Attached Files:

10. CardStalker

CardStalker Member

Next take parts 66, 67, 68, & 69 and score along the line and fold in half and glue together. Before you cut them out, make sure you cut back about 1/32 at the spot I show as the parts tend to be a bit on the large side. If you don't the assembly will not drop into the top of the cage ring. Then cut out the parts.

Attached Files:

11. CardStalker

CardStalker Member

Next take the other part 65 and coat with chrome paint or other shiny material. Then drop it into the assembly and glue. Then glue parts 66, 67, 68, & 69 to the assembly at the lines shown on the sides.

Attached Files:

12. CardStalker

CardStalker Member

Next are the mounting brackets for the bottom of part 1. Ton was very kind to send me these missing parts. I will be up loading them to the parts bin in a bit. He told me I can publish them to the world. They are parts 70, 71 ,72, & 73. I cut them out over size and glued them to more card stock to make them stronger. Next score and cut out and fold to right angles. Then glue them to the bottom of part 1 were the lines indicate.

Attached Files:

13. CardStalker

CardStalker Member

Next glue the cage to the base. Set the cage on top of the base so the the tangs fit into the slots in the mirror assembly. Glue from the inside and wait till it has dried. Next drop the secondary mirror assembly into the top of the cage on the marks show and glue.

Attached Files:

14. CardStalker

CardStalker Member

And here is the finished interior of the Hubble Space Telescope. Hope everyone likes it.

Attached Files:

15. CardStalker

CardStalker Member

Up next the Exterior. Give me a bit of time as I am working on the test build first. My best to all.
  16. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

Now that looks like a tricky part to cut out & glue ! Very neat job - I'm loving this build :)
  17. Hans Christian

Hans Christian Active Member

jawdrop

great job sir!!! :-D
  18. Elliott

Elliott Senior Member

Like it? It's great! You have got to be one of the most patient builders we have here. I love the way you have done this thread. This is a tutorial if I've ever seen one. Excellent photography by the way.
  19. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

I am so glad you could continue with this great model!! It sure looks just awesome!!
  20. I am building one too. Mine looks just like yours so far. Except I downloaded mine from the space Center site and the Expert model did not have the legs ofr the interios model. I wrote them and they contacted Ton. They had it changed in one day. Now I have th elges. I am doing the outside in Redriver Foil Paper. This is just one of those models that screams for shiny foil. Mine is almost done. I will post it on another thread when finished. (don't wan't to hijack your thread).

Yours looks very clean. I look forward to the outer Model