Hubble Space Telescope Build

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by CardStalker, Mar 1, 2008.

1. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

You're saying you won't make it to the deadline?... That's a real pity considering what has happened... Oh well, wish you the best of luck in the remaining build! --And can we lengthen the deadline... by just a little or something...?
  2. CardStalker

CardStalker Member

Thank you all.

Lex, thank you, but no. There will be no extending the dead line. I donated a fair amount of the cash to this contest cause I wanted to help spur more interest in this hobby, I only entered it to have some fun and I am looking forward the seeing the outcome and all the completed projects. To everyone, thank you so very much for your support. I will be posting more of this build soon and should have the interior completed in the next few days. Good luck to everyone, and thank all of you that entered for making this worth while. My best to everyone.
  3. That looks like a lot of work. It looks great. I think when I build it I will print it on the REdriver chrome paper. Or I might do something similar using overhead transparancy film with a silver paint backing
  4. Hans Christian

Hans Christian Active Member

My condolences to you and your family too sir...

Also, many apoligies for not posting in this thread... but you really did a super job here sir!!! I now find it very hard to resist building sir Ton's HST, especially that STS-125 is up next at KSC!

keep this up!!! bounce7
  5. CardStalker

CardStalker Member

Just so everyone knows, I have completed the build of the interior and will be posting the rest of that part of the build soon.
  6. littlemodeler

littlemodeler Member

looking forward to seeing the long awaited progress of your hubble:D
  7. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

G R E A T !!!!!!! Can't wait! :D :D
  8. CardStalker

CardStalker Member

OK, contest over, time to get back to this build. Oh where did I leave off? Right, the HFST secton next. Here are parts 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, & 40.

Attached Files:

9. CardStalker

CardStalker Member

Cut out 40 and color the back edges as they stick out from the sides. I used a silver sharpie. Then glue to the front of part 1, getting the sides as even an overlap as possible. See how the edges stick out?

Attached Files:

10. CardStalker

CardStalker Member

Cut out and score parts 35, 36, & 37 and fold into box's. I added the rails that Ton provied. Glue parts 36 & 37 to the spots shown on part 40. Leave 35 off for now.

Attached Files:

11. CardStalker

CardStalker Member

Next is the cameras. Parts 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, & 33. Cut out 26, 29, & 32 and I removed every other tang at the bottom. I found it makes it easyer to assemble. Then cut out 27, 29, & 33 and roll and glue into a cone. Then cut out 28, 31, & 34 camera faces. Then glue the cones to the cylinders. Then glue the faces to the cones. Watch the alinement, make the faces with the square so that one of the flat sides is facing the seam.

Attached Files:

12. CardStalker

CardStalker Member

Glue the straight camera assembly to the center of part 40. Next glue part 35 to the area below the camera as indicated.

Attached Files:

13. CardStalker

CardStalker Member

Next cut out parts 38 & 39. Color the back sides gray, or I used the silver sharpie again. Then glue them to the sides of the center camera. Then next glue the 2 side cameras in the spot indicated.

Attached Files:

14. CardStalker

CardStalker Member

Next cut out parts 41 & 42. But before you do, leave 42 long so you can rap it around 41 and get the right length as I found it might be a bit small. Then roll and glue 41 into a cylinder. After you find the right rap, cut 42 to the right lenght. Then glue 42 around 41 where indicated. Then color the bottom of 41 black, as it will go through the radial instruments assembly as shown.

Attached Files:

15. CardStalker

CardStalker Member

Next, Color the top of the part 1 assembly as show, as it will be open after the radial instrument assembly is attached. Then glue the assembly to the top of part 1. The small square should be just above the camera area as shown.

Attached Files:

16. CardStalker

CardStalker Member

Next we do the mirror assembly. As i shown before how to paint the mirror with Chorme paint, now I show the assembly. Part 50 is the mirror. Cut out the center just over size. Then lay over part 49 to get a good allinement. then mark and cut out the center of 49. Double check the fit. Then lay over both parts on 46 and find the best allinement and mark them. Cut the center out of 46 on the large side. This will make it easyer to aline the assembly later to the other parts.

Attached Files:

17. CardStalker

CardStalker Member

Then glue part 49 to 46 by the marks you made for alinement. To help keep the part from worping, cut out an extra pice of cardstock with the center oversized and the outside very under sized and glue to the back side of 49-46 assembly.

Attached Files:

18. CardStalker

CardStalker Member

Next is parts 43,44, & 45. At this point I discarded part 45 as it was to support part 43 in a ring. Since I added a support area to 46 I didn't need it. Cut out 43 but leave the ends long as it tends to be short. Then rap 43 around 46 assembly and find the proper length. Mark and cut to that length. Edge color the excess. Cut out tab 44 and glue to part 43 and make a cylinder. Next test fit the parts. Flip the assembly over and glue from the back side.

Attached Files:

19. CardStalker

CardStalker Member

Next come parts 47 & 48. This is the bace assmebly for the mirror. Cut the center of 48 out large. Cut out both peices. Score the brakets on 47. Color in the areas on the back side of 47 and the inside circle of 48. Again I used the silver sharpie. Then glue 47 to 48 as shown. Then glue 47 to 48 as shown.

Attached Files:

20. CardStalker

CardStalker Member

Next glue the bottom of the assembly to the top. Making sure that one of the open marks are in the center of the brackets. Then glue the mirror area to the top. Next prepair the assembly to be added to the bace. Add some glue to the cylinder of the bottom assemby then push the mirror assembly on to it. Adjust the height so that all 4 brackets can fold and touch the assembly of part 1. Add some glue to part1 assmebly and fold the brakets into place.

Attached Files: