Hubble Space Telescope Build

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by CardStalker, Mar 1, 2008.

1. CardStalker

CardStalker Member

Hello all, here is my entry for the Free Model #3 competition. It is the Hubble Space Telescope for advanced builders. It is designed by none other then the great designer Sir Ton Noteboom. The model can be found here: HubbleSite - Hand-held Hubble - Paper Model, expert
    There are 16 pages total, 4 for the interior and 12 for the exterior. I will be building this slowly, with step by step process for all to see. Hope it turns out well.

Attached Files:

2. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

Great!! Always been interested in Hubble.. Now, don't forget to cut a circle of aluminum foil out and glue it to whichever circle is "the Mirror" :D :D :D

I know you'll do the HST justice! :D :D
  3. CardStalker

CardStalker Member

Part 1

Ok, here is part 1 cut out but not scored yet. See all the details, I'm going to overylay all of them for more depth.

Attached Files:

4. CardStalker

CardStalker Member

One thing I'm going to do is make the hand rails 3d. So they need to be raised off the part, however, the part is printed with the hand rails. Ton designed this so you could overlay the hand rails, but I want to make them off the panels. So, I used an Emery Board (nail file) to sand off the ink areas where the hand rails are. That way you won't see the printed area when I make them 3d.

Attached Files:

5. George B

George B Senior Member

PS

That "issue" is similar to what I encountered with my LUT build and the pipe work. What I did was erased them in Photoshop. That maybe a solution for your railings too.
    G
  6. CardStalker

CardStalker Member

Thanks George. I checked into that, but I wanted it to be something anyone can do without modifing the original. Very fine sand paper can do just as well.
  7. George B

George B Senior Member

Good point, Hmmm I'll have to give it a try.
  8. CardStalker

CardStalker Member

George, if you do, go slow and little pressure, to much and you make a real mess, lol. Thanks for the input. By the way the LUT is just super.
  9. George B

George B Senior Member

See......I'd probably rub a hole right through it, and maybe even part of the table. LOL

G
  10. CardStalker

CardStalker Member

How do you think I learned, the hard way of course. I have tried diferent White Out materials, but it never comes out good, never blends in right.
  11. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

This is an ambitious project. I looked at the files and chickened out of building it ;)
  12. CardStalker

CardStalker Member

Part#1 Cont.

Ok, Here Is part 1 With overlay and with the Hand Rails Started. As you can see there is a shadow under the hand rails, thats how far I set them from the base. I did 2 layers of the mounts and put the rails on top. Ton made extra rails if you wanted to use them, they are Item #10. This is going to take some time, but I don't mind.

Attached Files:

13. KCStephens

KCStephens Member

Looks very nice so far. I like the way you removed the underlying image with sand paper - but I guess this only works when the background is white - otherwise you would be sanding thru the background color right down to the actual surface of the paper. Your additional layering really adds alot to the final look of the model. It's well worth the extra time and effort. keep it up.
  14. CardStalker

CardStalker Member

HeavyKevie, Yes you are right, it only is good for white backgrounds. Thanks for the nice comments. My best to you.
  15. CardStalker

CardStalker Member

Next step is to cut and score the glue tab. As you can see in the second pic I left it just shy of the edge. I'm using 110 LB Card Stock for this project and this will give me a better butt joint. The 3rd pic is after it's put together.

Attached Files:

16. littlemodeler

littlemodeler Member

i was building this model in the summer but it got paused for a bit when school started. Great build! I'll be looking forward to your finished product:D

(i need all the help i can get:p)
  17. CardStalker

CardStalker Member

Thank you littlemodeler, I'll be tring to do every step in detail. By the way, I forgot to mention at the begining that I'm buliding the interior first.
  18. CardStalker

CardStalker Member

Ok next is the corners. The bottom of the part is to be made into a octagon. The first pic shows on the left the corners with the blue tab that has to be glued. On the right it shows after gluing. Next is part 3. After cutting one I found thatit was a little lose. So I cut another just out side the black line as seen in pic 2. I put a tab of paper under so you could see the black line. Fits better. It goes inside part 1 with the black lines up to fill in the corners and give it form. Glue from the inside at the corners and make sure the edges are flush with the outside.

Attached Files:

19. CardStalker

CardStalker Member

Part 4

Next will be part part 4, which is the top of the assembly. Along with parts 5,6,7 & 8 which are the glue tabs for part 4. Then onto part 9 which goes on the bottom along with part 11 which is an overlay of part 9.

Attached Files:

20. CardStalker

CardStalker Member

Part 4

Here is part 4 cut out. The second pic is of part 4 being assembled. Ton said to install all the glue tabs to part 4 then insert into part 1. I installed 3 into part 1 and one onto part 4. This made it easyer to aline the sides. The last pic is the top sealed up.

Attached Files: