How's this for a First Mountain?

Arlaghan

Sep 9, 2003
S. FL
Over at a new buddies place and we spent all yesterday and part of today making this mountain. Getting it into the corner of his layout was not an easy task and required 3 hands, wood glue, a vacuum cleaner tube, pins, needlenose pliers, and other "unorthodox" items. :D (Don't ask.)

Anyway, neither one of us has done this before... any of you veterans care to critique?

Attachments

• first_mountain.jpg
    first_mountain.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 279

Arlaghan

Sep 9, 2003
S. FL
Thanks a lot everyone. We were very pleased for our first attempt that once we got it in the corner, we ran some trains and got very little done after that! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

The background we created in Photoshop. It's the same mountain repeated and flipped around, with some clouds rendered behind them. The picture came out really neat, I think. Anyway, every time the train would pass by the mountain, we would both drop what we were doing to watch it go by! What a difference a bit of scenery makes! :D

Arlaghan

Sep 9, 2003
S. FL
Here's an update. Last night we made thin pieces of mountain with foam and covered it with joint compound before I went home. I left my base coat paint over there so he was able to complete the ground cover part today. These are the pictures he sent me. (The corner is the mountain we did, the stuff to the left is the new area.)

Attachments

• p1010141.jpg
    p1010141.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 224

Arlaghan

Sep 9, 2003
S. FL
Here's another view of the same area. For those of you who have not gotten this far on your layouts... You sure have something to look forward to! This is easy and the results are AMAZING! I love Woodland Scenic's stuff!

Attachments

• p1010133.jpg
    p1010133.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 211

Arlaghan

Sep 9, 2003
S. FL
60103, learning was the whole fun of it! And the fact that it was his layout we experimented with made it even better! LOL ;)

Eddie, it was surprisingly easy to do, we were pleased! Here's the basic order (or dis-order depending on your point of view) of what we did:

1) Using a piece of 2" blue foam, we traced the countour of the corner we were going to scenic.

2) We cut it out using the foam hot wire cutter and put in a slope and variation while we were at it.

3) Using the angles pieces that we cut away, we glued them to the top of the foam using Liquid Nails. This "continued" the slop a little higher than the 2" of the foam.

4) We rolled up newspaper into balls and held them together with masking tape. We taped this down onto the foam in a random "natural" formation until we got the shape we liked. We used lots of tape to fill in the holes.

5) Plaster soaked paper towels laid over the top to make a shell. At this point we had to call it a night, as this takes a while to dry.

6) The next day, I brought over my 1 gallon can of chocolate colored paint and while I brushed it on thickly, he sprinkled on the fine ground foam from two canisters in a random pattern. We used a dark green, and an earth blend to spice things up.

7) Once we got the base of fine ground foam, we then sprinkled on some course turf in various spots and then soaked the area with elmers/water/alcohol mixture.

8) As a final step, we sporadically added clump foliage in various colors in areas we felt shrubs would grow... like on flat areas or the edges of cliffs we wanted to "soften". (We left some flat areas on the hillside because we plan to put an abandoned mine there. That's probably our project for this coming saturday, in addition to "foresting" the area with super trees.)

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Arl, this is really a beautifully landscaped corner. And I love this BIG radius of the curve.

Now I'm looking forward for that abandoned mine. Knowing your talents... :cool: :thumb:
Keep us posted, willya?

Ron