Howl's Moving Castle - Epson Freebie

Kaz

Jul 27, 2005
Cambridge
I have got a bit of a gap between the observation tower base and the turret rim/body
is that picture 5? cos I too have the same gap, luckily its covered by a little tree.
You're on the home run now, good luck.

Nov 28, 2005
Fareham UK
Kaz said:
is that picture 5? cos I too have the same gap, luckily its covered by a little tree.
You're on the home run now, good luck.

Yep. Might need a big tree on mine! And I must fix the tear in the rim.

I have a slight snag that all three Ghibli fans have asked about having the model in their room. I might be able to trade one for a Kiki and another may accept Akrii's bike (she has progressed to the harder stuff though she has declared the model "quite adorable" which might be the new "kewl") but I may have to do another one of these....

...but only after a bit of a break. This one has taken quite a bit of time and I have a few other projects to complete. For some reason I'm finishing more paper models than the other stuff - probably have less excuse not to!

Jackrum

Jan 23, 2007
I found the pipes and chimneys to be pretty easy, just curl the parts around a screwdriver or somesuch and it all goes together very well. Or at least it did for 160 gsm paper :p

Nov 28, 2005
Fareham UK
Jackrum said:
I found the pipes and chimneys to be pretty easy, just curl the parts around a screwdriver or somesuch and it all goes together very well. Or at least it did for 160 gsm paper :p

I have made the pipes OK. It's just the attatchment looks dodgy on the thin paper. I'm thinking of putting thick card disks in the pipe bases and bonding them to the body.

Nov 28, 2005
Fareham UK
Pipes done

I beefed up the three largest pipes with thick card inserts in the base and attached them all in quick succession. The top white one didn't fit on the marked position so I moved it back and rested it against the top house with a little extra glue for support. I didn't get very clear views of the rear pipe arrangements. I think I've got bottom right pipe upside down or even the wrong pipe. The bottom left pipe fit was about the most positive fit I got but I don't think it matches anyone elses.

So here are some very unflattering close ups. I have a few small cog like pieces to attach somewhere. Before I cover up the worst excesses with the trees I shall try and make good some of the gaps and exposed edges and undersides.

Billy

I think by the dark castle you are refering to the walking version that is in most of the film? It was available in Japan in printed form but I believe it is not available at the moment.

Attachments

• howl 017.jpg
    howl 017.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 52
  • howl 018.jpg
    howl 018.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 36
  • howl 019.jpg
    howl 019.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 36
  • howl 020.jpg
    howl 020.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 42

Kaz

Jul 27, 2005
Cambridge
Wowee,
To the left of the propeller housing on photo 19 there is a pipe with a 90 degree
bend in it, mine sits underneath the rear left leg, I think I have some white showing under it, and to the right of the prop housing, your house has an extension to it, mise doesn't. I hope you had proper planning permission :)
As I said earlier, its a daunting but very forgiving model. Its looking sweet.

Nov 28, 2005
Fareham UK
Kaz said:
Wowee,
To the left of the propeller housing on photo 19 there is a pipe with a 90 degree
bend in it, mine sits underneath the rear left leg, I think I have some white showing under it, and to the right of the prop housing, your house has an extension to it, mise doesn't. I hope you had proper planning permission :)
As I said earlier, its a daunting but very forgiving model. Its looking sweet.
I went with what fitted and what I could see - or I thought I could see in the other builds. I build in one room with the computer in another and I tend to forget things going between them. Despite have a huge office desk for the computer the Ghibli fans just fill it with stuff.

Nov 28, 2005
Fareham UK
Finito!

OK that's it. Stick a fork in. I'm done!

I rejigged the pipes. The short bent one went underneath, the chimney one replaced it and the pipe I missed I inserted into the chimney house - this one I assembled the other way round from how it was laid out on the print-out after an evening of trying to coaxe the two curved edges together. The cogs were fitted on a lot of guessing and I have left off the two joined cogs as I have no idea where they should go.

I patched the tear in the turret base, added the paper bonsai ( I tried colouring the undersides of the branches but they are barely noticeable). Added the washing and finally the bucket which was cute touch.

The final stretch was a struggle. My work has ramped up enormously. The lighter nights means the home DIY has to be begun. I had to make a new base and white chimney as both got squashed during tidying up.

Who gets it is still to be decided. I'll probably go for the safest haven offered.

I think this was satisfying to do. A line free version would be good as they are rather prominant on the pastel colours. A few more details like the table and chairs and some double sided printing would improve this model more.

Maybe next time.

My thanks for the encouragement and support I have received doing this build. I would have given up several times otherwise.

Nov 28, 2005
Fareham UK
Finito!

OK that's it. Stick a fork in. I'm done!

I rejigged the pipes. The short bent one went underneath, the chimney one replaced it and the pipe I missed I inserted into the chimney house - this one I assembled the other way round from how it was laid out on the print-out after an evening of trying to coaxe the two curved edges together. The cogs were fitted on a lot of guessing and I have left off the two joined cogs as I have no idea where they should go.

I patched the tear in the turret base, added the paper bonsai ( I tried colouring the undersides of the branches but they are barely noticeable). Added the washing and finally the bucket which was cute touch.

The final stretch was a struggle. My work has ramped up enormously. The lighter nights means the home DIY has to be begun. I had to make a new base and white chimney as both got squashed during tidying up.

Who gets it is still to be decided. I'll probably go for the safest haven offered.

I think this was satisfying to do. A line free version would be good as they are rather prominant on the pastel colours. A few more details like the table and chairs and some double sided printing would improve this model more.

Maybe next time.

My thanks for the encouragement and support I have received doing this build. I would have given up several times otherwise.

Kaz

Jul 27, 2005
Cambridge
Congrats on a finished model. I couldnt find where those attached cogs went, so I stuck them on the head where there was some space to hide!
Maybe next time.
WHAT!!! are you mad?

Kaz

Jul 27, 2005
Cambridge
Congrats on a finished model. I couldnt find where those attached cogs went, so I stuck them on the head where there was some space to hide!
Maybe next time.
WHAT!!! are you mad?