Howdy!

tuta

Aug 19, 2004
Houston
just wanted to post a little introduction about myself...

I have assumed possession of my dad's old train set(s). Unfortuantely, they currently they sit in the garage. I have gotten the notion to build some shelving for them with some help from a friend, and display in our study until my son is old enough to start playing with them (he is only two).

I am needing some "in general" advice on how to properly clean/restore some of the older cars. I am guessing the locos are a little above me at the moment to work on. I am not sure they would work at all anymore. They did when I was a kid but we are coming up on that being 20 years ago!

sorry for the rambling nature, but I am very happy to have found a good site to get some gentle nudging in the right direction.

thanks!

tuta

Aug 19, 2004
Houston
thanks all -- they are actually not too bad off considering the age and non-use (not to mention the storage 'methods'). I have no idea on the locos since I won't even bother looking under the hood until I get a little more sure of myself.

there are a few cars I would love to restore -- 1) an old searchlight car from 40s or 50s, 2) a mailbox car where they guy would pop out and stick it on a pole (by magnets) and 3) an old milk car (also from the 40s and 50s).

I guess a couple of quickees -- is there an online archive with pictures to help me identify what I actually have? Hopefully from there it will be a little easier to find out what I have to get done...