How would you approach making a droid army?

jamesmhebert

Aug 12, 2009
I'm looking for input on how you might suggest I go about making a 120-figure "army" of standing figures for a game, and maintaining a high build quality while doing so.

I'm new to papercraft in this manner, and wondered if anyone would share their experience in approaching this project... I want to make a DIY version of the Star Wars board game Queen's Gambit (out of print, circa 2000, and which sells for $100 or better every time one hits eBay) for my sons and I.

This means making an army of around 120 figures -- mostly droids, some gungans, and a scattering of single characters -- all about 1 inch tall.

I'm very comfortable with Photoshop and design. I saw one person who had done so using wood cubes to which they had attached stickers. While that was functional, it did not achieve the level of realism I'd like to attain.

This site, boardgamegeek, has a lot of images of the game, including the "block version" which is still quite good: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/images/boardgame/939/star-wars-the-queens-gambit

If there are existing threads with a similar focus, or tips, let me know!

Thank you,

james

Tirick

Oct 5, 2009
Ontario, CA
tcfgaming.com
I have 1:50 scale figurines (B1 battle droids) on my site's store (for free). They are highly detailed and fully posable.

Is that what you are looking for?

Check the sig for details. You need to be a registered customer to download, but the files (those ones anyway) are free. I also have 1:50 Clone Troopers.

Regards,
Sean

jamesmhebert

Aug 12, 2009
Thank you, Sean!

I checked in this afternoon and was able to download 2 of the 4 droid/clone models there (the stormtrooper and sandtrooper files lead to 404 error pages... I don't have a need for those, but wanted to let you know!).

I'll work on a few this weekend and see how they'll do!

Thank you again,

James

Tirick

Oct 5, 2009
Ontario, CA
tcfgaming.com
Thank you for the comments, and the feedback on the site error. Bad naming conventions for the files were the cause (The hash '#'). This is fixed, but unfortunately ZenCart does not pass the change through to old orders, so a new one will have to be made.

Sorry for the confusion!
Sean

Tirick

Oct 5, 2009
Ontario, CA
tcfgaming.com
I have tentative plans to do a lot of things, although I suspect the next 'droid'(TM) will be the astromech from KOTOR. That is a fair way down the list though.

Enjoy!
Tirick