How wide can this be? N Scale layout

csxengineer

May 16, 2003
Pittsburgh, Pa
Visit site
I am starting over, AGAIN. I want to see the layout from the river view, as the mainline parallels the river, and the smaller railroads cross multiple bridges going from blast furnace to rolling mills, etc. The area I model has 3 to 4 bridges that cross the river at a 45 degree angle, making it difficult to make a trackplan. I know that my reach is 2 1/2' at best, how do I make a trackplan to incorporate this all? 11' x 10' area.

Attachments

• module.JPG
    module.JPG
    20 KB · Views: 131
  • module2.JPG
    module2.JPG
    27.6 KB · Views: 126

Mountain Man

Jan 19, 2007
If I am correct that your main concern is reaching the far side to correct problems in operation and so forth, have you considered an access hatch behind the factories, or perhaps one of the factories itself if large enough could lift out and give you the needed reach?

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Let me see if I understand...

- N scale
- 11x10 room
- benchwork against the walls, max 30" deep
- 4 bridges, all (?) crossing at 45 degrees to the river

Some questions -

- What is the width of the river?
- Is the mainline on the near shore mandatory, or can some "poetic license, proto-lancing" be done?
- Why do you show the bridges at 90 degrees, rather than 45?
- How close are these industries to be? (the section you show is only a small part of the 10x11 room, I think)
- Does the entire river have to show, or only key scenes?
- Does the rive have to be parallel to the front edge of the benchwork?

Some basic assumptions about dimensions:

- ~9" radius is common in Nscale - If this is your minimum, you'll need 18" plus the width of the river, plus setback from the front edge to make it across a bridge that is at 90 degrees. That still leaves 10 - 12 inches for the far side of the river. Is this enough?

- Can part of some or all industries be represented by shallow relief and/or flats against the backdrop?

- Setting the bridges at 45 degrees will require more length, but might save "depth" by reducing the amount of space required for the curves to get the track back parallel to the river.

Hope that helps.

Andrew

csxengineer

May 16, 2003
Pittsburgh, Pa
Visit site
layout

Let me see if I understand...

- N scale YES
- 11x10 room YES
- benchwork against the walls, max 30" deep YES (3 walls actual room 11' x 20')
- 4 bridges, all (?) crossing at 45 degrees to the river YES(I guess I mean 90*)

Some questions -

- What is the width of the river? (I don't need the 1/4 mile width, maybe just so you know it's the river)
- Is the mainline on the near shore mandatory, or can some "poetic license, proto-lancing" be done? (I'm open to all suggestions)
- Why do you show the bridges at 90 degrees, rather than 45? I goofed my math
- How close are these industries to be? (the section you show is only a small part of the 10x11 room, I think) (total prototype area is 7 miles with about 2 miles between)
- Does the entire river have to show, or only key scenes? (just so it's familiar to viewer)
- Does the rive have to be parallel to the front edge of the benchwork? (open to suggestions)

Some basic assumptions about dimensions:

- ~9" radius is common in Nscale - If this is your minimum, you'll need 18" plus the width of the river, plus setback from the front edge to make it across a bridge that is at 90 degrees. That still leaves 10 - 12 inches for the far side of the river. Is this enough? (rolling mill & blast furnace are pretty big kits)

- Can part of some or all industries be represented by shallow relief and/or flats against the backdrop? YES

- Setting the bridges at 45 degrees will require more length, but might save "depth" by reducing the amount of space required for the curves to get the track back parallel to the river.

Hope that helps.

I APPRECIATE IT:)