how to suggest what u want for Christmas

Zug

For my birthday last month my brother gave a Chineese stone figure of a soldier he bought when he went there this summber with his family. Now I guess it meens something, but I don't have a clue....

So for Christmas I came up with a more direct way of letting Mr. Goldcard know what I want:) I emailed him a list of Kato loco and Lenz part number and photo links to the Kato and Lenz websites.

So what have you done to try to get somebody that just doesn't get it, to buy you traun stuff for Christmas? He just doesn't think anybody is interested in trains anymore!:eek: :eek: :eek: :mad: :mad: :mad: :curse: :curse: :curse: :curse:

I thought about posting his email address so everybody here could drop him a note...:)

I'm laffing my head off Zug, I have my own way of doing it!
I take my wife to a hobby shop which also sells doll house things and tell her how super it would be to see that terrific loco (or whater) on my layout. If no response, she doesn't get any doll house things!!! .... Works every time!!:D :D :D :D :thumb:

Errol

Zug

Originally posted by kettlestack
I'm laffing my head off Zug, I have my own way of doing it!
I take my wife to a hobby shop which also sells doll house things and tell her how super it would be to see that terrific loco (or whater) on my layout. If no response, she doesn't get any doll house things!!! .... Works every time!!:D :D :D :D :thumb:

Errol

No wife to take to the train store, dang, another thing I have to put on my list....

Lenny53

Originally posted by Zug
No wife to take to the train store, dang, another thing I have to put on my list....
My LHS has a goodie box with my name on it where the stuff I order goes into when it arrives at the shop. The Missus is well aware of this and goes there when the occasion warrants. Sure cuts down on disappointments.

Gary Pfeil

I do something similar to what Lenny said. I give my wife a list of items I'd like, I make sure to have things from a couple bucks up to $200 BLI locos. And as many items as possible, letting her know I don't expect all of them, but want to be surprised. My wife then shares this with others in the family. I give the list to my LHS owner as well, asking him to make the shopping trip easy for her. I've suggested to him to operate a registry like they have for wedding gifts but he hasn't done so.

Gary

Vic

The Robber Barron Method

No wife here either!!!.....I just go buy what I want!!!....It boils down to a mathematical formula....
ATT-W=M$FT

Addiction To Trains Minus Wife = More Dollars For Trains :D :D

jawatkins

Some people just don't get it.....

and I don't mean the gifts they would like.

Whenever I'm trying to figure out what to get someone, the first thing I try to find out is if they have a hobby. I have found that just knowing that can make gift giving much easier. But I'm assuming here that the giftgiver is trying to make an effort to get someone what they would really like.

I'd rather buy someone something that I know they will want than to buy them something not knowing if they will ever use it.

Anyway, Zug - hope your tactic works!

Happy Holidays

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Can't get much more direct than your tactic for this year Zug! :)
Hope it pays off. Any way of working that sculpture on to the layout? How about as a statue in front of an art gallery, or perhaps in front of a Chinese restaurant? :D
Ralph

GNRail

Zug

One quick method might just to send him a link to this thread. He might get the idea.

I was visiting my inlaws this year at my birthday and most of them just gave me cash to visit the hobby shop myself. I model Nscale and everything seems to cost an arm and a leg. This way they basically combined the gift and let me get into no good.

As mentioned above it seems most hobby stores will keep a wish list for you

TTFN

Garry

MCL_RDG

I received a...

...Lionel "COLLECTIBLE" Alarm clock- you know- the one with the train that vomits around the mountain and announces, "All 'board, it's time to get up" or some such...

Well, ayway- it was my brother's girlfriend's way of making nice, nice to me. It's a wonder that thing hasn't been hammered repeatedly by a baseball bat- but I don't own one (although I do have a lawnmower and little but of time).

I never suggest anyone to buy me trains- I can do that for myself. I have told my brother to discourage his woman from buying me cutesy train gifts- that's my honey's choice.

There's only 2, no make that 3 things that make my Christmas gifts of choice list (to receive).

1. White, long sleeve dress shirts.
2. BVDs
3. Black socks (12 pair to a bag, all the same color, all the same size, all the same pattern).
4. A good hard sleigh ride, laughing all the way.

Mark

To all a good night, Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas, Happy Hanuka, peace, love, prosperity, all your dreams come true (and if you want- I think I can hook you up to a Lionel "COLLECTIBLE" real cheap).

Drew1125

I've had similar experiences to Mark's...(mother-in-law, in my case)
One year I even got a clock, that made the sound of a steam whistle on the hour...24 freaking times a day!! :rolleyes: :cry: :rolleyes: Sadly, it was accidently dropped down the basement stairs...twice! :D
I've gotten train-shaped flower pots, bookends...please...I don't even want to go there!
I've finally gotten her convinced...that waht I like are things that I can carry in my pocket...i.e. gift certificates for Lowe's, Home Depot, &/or the LHS...
My younger daughters still like to buy me structure kits that they pick out (with Mom's help, of course) These are great, because I love to kitbash structures, & I'm always surprised, & challenged by what they come up with! This year, it was 2 N scale kits, a power plant, & a refinery, & some HO kit by Model Power...don't know how it'll all turn out, but it'll be fun!

MCL_RDG

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got a freakin' "WOOD TRAIN PLANTER- Made in CHINA"!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

I love it, thank you, where's my hammer:confused:

Mark:cry:

Oh- AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Vic

Re: AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by MCL_RDG
I got a freakin' "WOOD TRAIN PLANTER- Made in CHINA"!
I love it, thank you, where's my hammer:confused:

Mark:cry:

WAIT!!!!!! Put down the hammer. I got a gaint African Amaryllis bulb. I need something to put it in!!! :D :D :D :D

Zug

Originally posted by Ralph
Can't get much more direct than your tactic for this year Zug! :)
Hope it pays off. Any way of working that sculpture on to the layout? How about as a statue in front of an art gallery, or perhaps in front of a Chinese restaurant? :D
Ralph

Well, I'll know in a bit, they should be here any time.... Somebody shot me now...

Zug

Originally posted by Charlie
I've had similar experiences to Mark's...(mother-in-law, in my case)
One year I even got a clock, that made the sound of a steam whistle on the hour...24 freaking times a day!! :rolleyes: :cry: :rolleyes: Sadly, it was accidently dropped down the basement stairs...twice! :D
I've gotten train-shaped flower pots, bookends...please...I don't even want to go there!

Ch-ch-ch-cheeee-a-train !!
:cry: :D

Zug

WEll their here. I'm escaping the noise in the basement:D

Didn't get what i asked for, but did get the 3 pack of Athern Go Transit passanger cars. Not bad, of course I run Santa Fe and CP :) So I got to figure out what to do about a loco now :)