How to remove lettering

kchronister

Nov 1, 2004
Boiling Springs, PA
Okay, I model PRR. I have got hold of a couple locos lettered for other roads. Both are Bachmann Spectrum (0-6-0 and a light mountain 4-8-2). How can I get the old roadnames off without ruining them so I can re-decal them as PRR?

THanks,

Kris

Chessie6459

Gauge Oldtimer
Kris this is what Tom did to remove his numbers off of his locomotive cab.

Originally Posted by TomPM
I removed the cab from the locomotive body of the 0-8-0 switcher so I could have better access to the windows to install glazing. Also it was easier to work on removing the number. For removing the number I applied some Walthers Solvaset and let it soak in for a few minutes. I then dried it with a paper towel. Next I used an ink eraser and gently rubbed the number off. On one side you can see where the number was. I will most likely hit the cab with a coat of black (Folk Art Licorice) to blend things in. I need to get to LHS to get new numbers.

Hope this helps you out. :wave: :wave:

SAL Comet

May 13, 2004
N.W. Georgia
Ha Kris, Pin-sol will all so desolve the lettering on most models, you should test a spot somewhere out of site first to make sure it doesn't hurt the paint under the lettering.

McFortner

Sep 9, 2002
Stockbridge, GA
Visit site
I would be careful with the 91% Isopropyl. I use that to strip paint from shells! I have to leave them in for a while, so I don't know what a short exposure would do.

Just my $0.02 worth (tax and title extra)
Michael