How To Need help

UPJunkie

I can't remember where I have seen How to make realistic bricks on buildings. Can someone point me in the right direction :confused:

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
1 part polly scale concrete, 2-3 parts dish detergent, 7 parts water, and 9 parts rubbing alcohol. thats what i do to make a mortar wash. you should probably paint the brick a base color or atleast a flat finish before you use the wash. You can make a wash heavier by adding a drop or 2 more pain. make sure you leave the wall on a flat surface. if the building is already assembled, it will be harder to do. see if you can't prop it up so the wall you are working on is nice and level. once that dries move to the next wall.

doctorwayne

The Polly Scale wash mentioned by green_elite_cab works well and you can use different brick colours and different mortar colours to create different effects. I also tried a method using drywall compound. The first building I did was a kitbash of a Walthers factory. I think I used Floquil boxcar red for the brick colour. When it had thoroughly dried, I applied ready-mixed drywall compound using a rag over my finger. Just glop it on and work it into the mortar lines. Rub off any excess, but don't worry if you don't get it all. Let it dry thoroughly. I did this building outside on a nice summer day, and by the time I finished the last wall, the first one was dry. You can leave it overnight, or even for a few days, but it has to be dry for the next step. I should point out that the building shell should be assembled before any of this work is done, but the doors and windows, and any fragile details should be left off until the mortar job is completed. Anyway, when the compound is dry, use a clean, soft rag to rub off the excess dry material. I find that the rag over the finger trick works well for getting into those nooks and crannies, and for really tight spots, the rag over a small screwdriver. This produces a fair amount of dust, and you also need to continually shake out the rag to keep it from clogging up. You can go back and repeat the process for any areas needing a touch-up. Then install the doors and windows, and any other details. I didn't add any weathering to this structure nor did I seal the completed brickwork with a clear finish.
The pictures I've included are LARGE, like the ones that I used to post, since it shows the detail better.
CopyofFoe-toesfromfirstcd222.jpg

For this next building, I used the same procedure, but the brick was painted with Floquil Reefer Orange. After the mortar work was finished as with the previous building, I applied a thin wash of Polly Scale with a little liquid dish detergent added. Don't do too much brush work or you'll remove the "mortar". Just slop it on and let it run down the walls. (You could probably apply a clear coat before this step, but I didn't think it was worth the effort. A little of the mortar will be removed, but it collects on the brick surface and adds to the effect.) I used a dirty black colour and applied two or three coats, allowing each application to dry before applying the next. Use a 3/4" soft brush and work quickly to cover all of the walls, then set the building upright on some newspaper. The wash will run to the bottom of the walls, but don't allow it to collect there. Instead, use a paper towel to siphon it off as it collects. You have to keep this up until the walls dry completely: they will dry from the top down. Also siphon off any excess that collects around details, such as window sills, or you will end up with a blotchy stain when it dries. Keep repeating this wash-and-siphon step until you are satisfied with the appearance. Then finish assembly of the structure as required.
CopyofFoe-toesfromfirstcd267.jpg

If you've made it through the long description and the BIG pictures, I hope this has been of some assistance.

Wayne