How to Model A Birch Tree?

I'm assuming you're thinking of the White or Paper Birch, (Betula papyrifera.) The Adirondacks are heavily populated with opportunistic white birch trees in nearly every area that has been logged or burned, which covers nearly the entire region. I've been planning to make birches for a while now. Thanks for the motivation.

I harvested some woody plants though I'm not sure of the species. Snipped the seed pods off to leave some pointy branches at the top, sponged on some Icy White paint by Folk Art, painted some pillow fiber filling Hunter Green, rolled it in ground foam and stretched it over the branches.

Don't try to get a uniform white coat of paint as it is not realistic. Sponging on the paint let some of the original bark color to come through. I tried painting one pure white and used some black paint but the results looked more like Dalmation fur than birch bark. Using the sponge was fast and easy. I did add a few black highlights with a marker.

When I get around to making these in bulk, I probably would use a lighter foam as these trees have a more yellow-green look. The white trunks really stand out against the varying green foliage of the forest so it probably won't be necessary to make too many of these for our mixed forests.
birch_tree_foliage.jpg

This is a cutting of the plant I used. It is from an abandoned garden, grows about 3 1/2 feet tall and has these seed pods:

birch_tree_seeds.jpg

Wayne