How to Make Rivet Lines in Photoshop

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by Gil, Aug 10, 2005.

1. Gil

Gil Active Member

Leif et al,

You requested how to make rivet lines in Photoshop. Here's how...,

Gil
  2. Gil

Gil Active Member

Leif et al,

You requested how to make rivet lines in Photoshop. Here's how...,

Gil
  3. 46rob

46rob Member

Thanks for the info. I ws able to figure out how to use this in Photoshop Elements, by selecting "more options". Not exactly the same, but works the same, with less features. I've been using a much more time consuming method invloving TEXT and cutting and pasting lines of periods.
  4. 46rob

46rob Member

Thanks for the info. I ws able to figure out how to use this in Photoshop Elements, by selecting "more options". Not exactly the same, but works the same, with less features. I've been using a much more time consuming method invloving TEXT and cutting and pasting lines of periods.
  5. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

Wonderful - that's it exactly! Invaluable tip - easy when you know how to; impossible even to imagine if you don't. Have tried it and memorized it (saved the image of course; wonderful form for quick-tutorial, since you can just open it in Photoshop while working).

Many thanks, Leif
  6. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

Wonderful - that's it exactly! Invaluable tip - easy when you know how to; impossible even to imagine if you don't. Have tried it and memorized it (saved the image of course; wonderful form for quick-tutorial, since you can just open it in Photoshop while working).

Many thanks, Leif
  7. NYC Irish

NYC Irish Member

Ohhh God thats great...

WHat about something like opbjects...if you had a hull and you wanted to porthole it....

I know i should be greatful for what I just got.....but....

Thanks John John
  8. NYC Irish

NYC Irish Member

Ohhh God thats great...

WHat about something like opbjects...if you had a hull and you wanted to porthole it....

I know i should be greatful for what I just got.....but....

Thanks John John
  9. 46rob

46rob Member

JJ-I played with it a bit--you could set it up to make large dia circles, such as 40 or so px and then go back and cover each with a smaller dia in a contrasting color. I tried playing with the percentages vs size, but the thing is not quite accurate enough to exactly center each part. You can also adjust it to make ovals (at any angle or even lines.--by making very thin ovals.)
  10. 46rob

46rob Member

JJ-I played with it a bit--you could set it up to make large dia circles, such as 40 or so px and then go back and cover each with a smaller dia in a contrasting color. I tried playing with the percentages vs size, but the thing is not quite accurate enough to exactly center each part. You can also adjust it to make ovals (at any angle or even lines.--by making very thin ovals.)
  11. 46rob

46rob Member

another thought--make a row of thirty pix or so circles, and use the Stylize--find edges--filter. Instant portholes.
  12. 46rob

46rob Member

another thought--make a row of thirty pix or so circles, and use the Stylize--find edges--filter. Instant portholes.
  13. NYC Irish

NYC Irish Member

Thanks Rob...

Im in for a penny so Im in for a pound...

What about when you have 2 skin sections of a hull..fuse or wing...how do you do the little shading to give it a worn look?

John John
  14. NYC Irish

NYC Irish Member

Thanks Rob...

Im in for a penny so Im in for a pound...

What about when you have 2 skin sections of a hull..fuse or wing...how do you do the little shading to give it a worn look?

John John
  15. 46rob

46rob Member

I select airbush and give it a few streaks at about 10% opacity and set to multilply. Then I take the magic wand tool, set at about a tolerance of 5 or 6 and select random spots. Next I use the stroke command, at one pixel and color set just a bit darker than what I just used for the airbrush. that outlines those areas with a very slightly darker shade that nearly blends into the background. If I want to slightly differentiate between two panels, I use the magic wand tool set to about forty to outline the panel. The I use the same slightly opaque brush strokes to slightly darken around the edges.
  16. 46rob

46rob Member

I select airbush and give it a few streaks at about 10% opacity and set to multilply. Then I take the magic wand tool, set at about a tolerance of 5 or 6 and select random spots. Next I use the stroke command, at one pixel and color set just a bit darker than what I just used for the airbrush. that outlines those areas with a very slightly darker shade that nearly blends into the background. If I want to slightly differentiate between two panels, I use the magic wand tool set to about forty to outline the panel. The I use the same slightly opaque brush strokes to slightly darken around the edges.
  17. Gil

Gil Active Member

Portholes

John John,

Portholes...,

Gil
  18. Gil

Gil Active Member

Portholes

John John,

Portholes...,

Gil
  19. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

Wow! Is that really possible? Yes, obviously. There's the answer for larger rivets, even including 3D-effects. Paint one, define as brush, draw any number of lines or single rivets. Very good tidings! This technique class is advancing by leaps and bounds! Thank you very much, Mr. Teacher!

Leif

PS. And the format for these lessons is still great. I keep on saving images, now in a special folder, of course.
  20. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

Wow! Is that really possible? Yes, obviously. There's the answer for larger rivets, even including 3D-effects. Paint one, define as brush, draw any number of lines or single rivets. Very good tidings! This technique class is advancing by leaps and bounds! Thank you very much, Mr. Teacher!

Leif

PS. And the format for these lessons is still great. I keep on saving images, now in a special folder, of course.