How to disassemble the Atlas MP15DC ?

Biased turkey

How do I remove the shell ?
I had a look at the exploded view but ( contrary to Life Like ) there is no instruction about how to remove the shell.
Could someone please be kind enough to explain that procedure ?
Tia for any info

CAS , I know you did it because you posted a thread about installing a DCC decoder in that model :)

I want to disassemble that engine because it stalls on the turnouts at slow speed , so I would like to clean and bend the truck current picking wipers and eventually to install a DCC decoder.

CAS

Hey Biased turkey,

I removed the shell by,
remove the wheels, they will just pop out. I did both sets of them.
remove the plastic fuel tank, that also pops off.
after you remove the 3 parts from above, you will see the aluminum casting (mainframe) that is in 2 halves.
disconnect the rails that go the the cab. The cab will pop off easily after you remove the rails.
on top of the shell, in the middle where the 2 smoke stacks, exhaust pipes are. remove that peice. That also snaps on.
After you remove the exhaust pipe peice. you will be able to push the aluminum casting (mainframe) out.
They are 2 little screws that are holding the 2 halves together. When it is time to install your DCC decoder. just unscrew this 2 screws, and the 2 halves will come apart.

This is how i did it, Biased turkey. I hope this helps you.
I do have a detailed sheet of the loco taken apart, with all the parts listing. If you don't have one, i can pm you with it.

CAS

Biased turkey

Thanks a bunch CAS, your detailed disassembly procedure helped a lot.
Thanks too for the offer of emailing me the detailed sheet of the loco taken apart, but I have that sheet ( that's what I called the "exploded view " in the starting post ).
The main problem for me was how to remove the trucks of an Atlas engine. I know my way around a Life Like but Atlas locos are new to me.

CAS

( that's what I called the "exploded view " in the starting post ).
Yep, thats what it looks like,:lol: .

I'm glad i was able to help you out.

When the time comes for you to install the decoder. It's not very hard to either. For a person of my background (which is not a handyman), it was easy for me to do.

CAS

Biased turkey

When the time comes for you to install the decoder. ...
CAS

That time will happen quite soon because I'll get retired next month so I'll have plenty of time to install the decoder.
So far I didn't find any supplier here in Canada who sells the TCS-MP15N decoder. I'll have to get it from the States.
The installation shouldn't be too difficult for me because I'm an electronic technician by trade.
By looking at the MP15CD "exploded view" I noticed that Atlas has a direct DCC drop-in replacement printed circuit board. So I'Ll have a choice between 2 brands of decoders: Atlas and TCS.