how to design a model?

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by david4039, Sep 7, 2005.

1. david4039

david4039 New Member

I am wanting to make a model of my house. How do I go about making a scaled replica of something? I don't have any 3d software....well, because I am a broke college student, and the military doesn't pay enough :) Any other ways of doing it, or maybe some kind of free software?? Please, any help would be greatly appreciated.

David
  2. david4039

david4039 New Member

I am wanting to make a model of my house. How do I go about making a scaled replica of something? I don't have any 3d software....well, because I am a broke college student, and the military doesn't pay enough :) Any other ways of doing it, or maybe some kind of free software?? Please, any help would be greatly appreciated.

David
  3. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

For a house, likely all you would need is a ruled straight edge, a compass, a pencil and a calculator. There are also freeware CAD programs to be found on the net.
  4. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

For a house, likely all you would need is a ruled straight edge, a compass, a pencil and a calculator. There are also freeware CAD programs to be found on the net.
  5. barry

barry Active Member

design

metaseq is free it draws good boxes see NOBI's Scorpion thread but download the shareware version not the freebie one.

barry
  6. barry

barry Active Member

design

metaseq is free it draws good boxes see NOBI's Scorpion thread but download the shareware version not the freebie one.

barry
  7. 46rob

46rob Member

Most computers have some kind of drawing or paint program bundled with it. LIke Rick says, start with paper and pencil. Alternatively, you could scan in photos of all four sides, correct the perspective and using them as a pattern, overlay your drawing onto them. We did this for a fellow who ws trying to recreate a model RR diorama of a long gone, historical part of town...only had frontal views to work with--faked the rest. You really don't need a CAD program...you would probably end up frustrated, as you'd be trying to learn two things simultaneously: how to use the CAD Program, and how to design a model. I do all my work with Photoshop Elements, which can be had for well under $100. Currently on sale at some places for about 60. For an example of my work--go to the "Parts Bin", and under free models, download my F-100 model. This was all done, starting with paper and pencil and finished with the PE bargain basement program.
  8. 46rob

46rob Member

Most computers have some kind of drawing or paint program bundled with it. LIke Rick says, start with paper and pencil. Alternatively, you could scan in photos of all four sides, correct the perspective and using them as a pattern, overlay your drawing onto them. We did this for a fellow who ws trying to recreate a model RR diorama of a long gone, historical part of town...only had frontal views to work with--faked the rest. You really don't need a CAD program...you would probably end up frustrated, as you'd be trying to learn two things simultaneously: how to use the CAD Program, and how to design a model. I do all my work with Photoshop Elements, which can be had for well under $100. Currently on sale at some places for about 60. For an example of my work--go to the "Parts Bin", and under free models, download my F-100 model. This was all done, starting with paper and pencil and finished with the PE bargain basement program.
  9. Mace

Mace Member

If you're looking for a graphics program, you could always use GIMP Which is free :D and has a lot of options.

For free CAD programs (if you really want to :wink:) you could always give Blender a try and Metaseq ofcourse :lol:
  10. Mace

Mace Member

If you're looking for a graphics program, you could always use GIMP Which is free :D and has a lot of options.

For free CAD programs (if you really want to :wink:) you could always give Blender a try and Metaseq ofcourse :lol:
  11. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

It depends on what you are going to do with your model. If the purpose is deciding where to put the furniture then the sizing must be accurate and it doesn't matter what the thing looks like. If instead you want to show something about how you feel about the house(art) then toss out accuracy and go for good looks. You might want to exagerate some sizing for effect. Either way I'd start off with a brief sketch on paper.
    If this model is art then consider not using the computer. You may be better at getting the right effect without computer assistance. Computer work tends to be emotionally cold and flat unless you deliberately work against the effect.

Lizzie
  12. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

It depends on what you are going to do with your model. If the purpose is deciding where to put the furniture then the sizing must be accurate and it doesn't matter what the thing looks like. If instead you want to show something about how you feel about the house(art) then toss out accuracy and go for good looks. You might want to exagerate some sizing for effect. Either way I'd start off with a brief sketch on paper.
    If this model is art then consider not using the computer. You may be better at getting the right effect without computer assistance. Computer work tends to be emotionally cold and flat unless you deliberately work against the effect.

Lizzie
  13. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

Check out the FAQ's here:

http://lhvcc.com/egiftshop/

designing on the cheap.
  14. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

Check out the FAQ's here:

http://lhvcc.com/egiftshop/

designing on the cheap.
  15. david4039

david4039 New Member

Thank you for all of the replies. Hope to get the hang of this soon.
  16. david4039

david4039 New Member

Thank you for all of the replies. Hope to get the hang of this soon.
  17. Renaud

Renaud Member

perspective

Here are some explanations on how to set up a ground plan after photographs
  18. Renaud

Renaud Member

perspective

Here are some explanations on how to set up a ground plan after photographs
  19. Renaud

Renaud Member

20. Renaud

Renaud Member