"How to Build Large Scale Dioramas"

Discussion in 'Dioramas & Displays' started by JohnReid, Jul 7, 2007.

1. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

Now for the fun part,the rust! I think that I will start with the darkest color first which looks to me to be a burnt umber.The heaviest rusting looks to be on the bottom 2/3rds of the tub.I will start by flicking on burnt umber gesso with a toothbrush and then dabbing on the rest with a small bristle brush.A little burnt sienna will be next followed by pastels.Anyway thats the plan for now. to be cont.......
  2. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

3. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

The above pic taken from "A History of Pointe Claire" Comte de Lessops in the foreground.
    Next diorama will be a 1/12th scale Bleriot ,like the one seen in this early pic taken during the first airshow in Canada ,not far from my home ,on June 25,1910.My initial plan is to have it sitting in front of a temporary tent-like structure in a field.Haven't worked out a storyline yet.Any ideas?
    (the RAF piece will be delayed only by a few months)

Amazyah Senior Member

I am thinking of tables set up in the tent, a couple of them with refreshments and the front table is where you sign in to fly in the air show.
    You could even through in an old car next to the tent and long haired dog maybe.
    Some guys working on the plane, getting it ready to go....

Russell
  5. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

6. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

That's looking great Reid! I think you nearly have it.

Russell
  7. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

8. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

9. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

I am going to leave the tubs outside as is for now.After I finish the inside and set it up in the diorama ,I will add the finishing touches.The drawing is to check the scale of the pump in relation to the human hand and the edge of the tub.Next up will be the pump and its accessories using the small scale diorama as a guide.I wish I could credit the guys work but no one seems to know other than he probably is a RR guy doing stuff in 1/87 scale.
  10. TLyttle

TLyttle New Member

Thank you. I will no longer call myself a modeler!! That is just beautiful...

Back when I used to see stuff like that for real, I found that it was difficult to tell just how much tread was on the tires; you may be better off just adding dust to the sidewalls and the tread.

And if the wheel attachment is indeed studs, they are fine. Wheel assemblies for knockoffs used all forms of fastenings such as panhead studs (as modelled) with nuts on the inside, or just plain riveted to the hub. Lots of variations there, depending on the manufacturer.

Wonderful stuff...
  11. TLyttle

TLyttle New Member

Sorry about that, my post goes back to page one, regarding the automobile! Duh...

It will take me a bit of time to adjust to the site; thanks for your patience.
  12. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

In looking at the pic above ,the surface looked to me that maybe it was too rough and the gesso spray just thrown on.I thought of re-doing it to look softer but when I put it in the diorama ,at scale distance, it really looks OK.Sometimes I find that you have to overdo it a bit for it to be visible to the naked eye at a distance .If this was to be a hand -held piece I would change it but considering the viewer will never get that close when the case is on,I think I will leave it as it is.Anyway it is easily changed.
  13. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

Modeling Doldrums!
    I seem to be in the modeling doldrums these days,so there is only one cure for that, go back to Jenny for awhile! I am quite confident now that I have all the necessary skills to finish the diorama (landscaping etc...) and it is getting late in the summer(here in the GWN) and I need "a shot in the arm "to get going again and Jenny needs to be completed and set in the diorama,so here goes........

JohnReid Active Member

15. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

My Photobucket. JohnReid - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
    Well this is about where I left off with the Jenny itself.I just left the figures and stuff in the pic for interest.I will empty the hanger and work on completing the model and setting it finally in place in the diorama.
    Please note: Because my Photobucket allows me only a 1,000 pics I will be deleting everything in it that does not directly connect to the Jenny build as it will be in its final form.I will be doing this starting with the Albatros and Nieuport
    diorama pics previously posted.This will unfortunately create a lot of empty posts in this thread.If anyone wants to copy any of these pics I would suggest you do it now .Otherwise please contact me in the future if you require any of these pics for your modeling research. Some of these pics are also available over on
    World War I Modeling Page
    Cheers! John.
  16. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

[​IMG]
    Photo courtesy of the Chicago Historical Society.
  17. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

Filling the image well!
    While in this sort of "filling the well " period that I am going through ,I ran across this great pic from 1910.It is now running neck in neck with building a Bleriot diorama or this.I think this will win out and really has me very excited.Building a Bleriot is obvious but this pic sort of captures the whole spirit of the era.I call it "In pursuit of his Dream" .What do you guys think?The pic shows a fellow,22 year old J.E.Mair outside his Chicago row house building his dream airplane.To me it says so much about the enthusiasm of people who build things whether they are modelers,replica builders or whatever.I love the kids looking over the fence in the other direction as much as to say "Oh that is only John and his silly old airplane"
    The laundry on the line,the whole composition is just wonderful.While I would be doing something from the 1910 era ,this idea could be adapted to any era and still tell a powerful story that just about anyone could relate to,building a dream.

JohnReid Active Member

19. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

40x50
    This seems to be about the minimum size to get everything in.My dioramas tend to grow over time so it will be interesting to see what the final size will be.I plan to use the wing ribs from a 1/16th Model Expo Wright Flyer that I bought a few years ago.This will save me a lot of time cutting out all those small wooden parts that have already been done for me, by laser ,in the kit.The rest will be of my own design ,as I transport myself back to 1910 and think of what I may have come up with if I had lived at that time.Essentially this will be a scratchbuild other than the ribs.There are companies such as Arizona Models who will do this for me but why bother if I already have the Wright Flyer to work with?
    What I really like about this project is that I am completely free to do as I want and it doesn't require a hangar!
    Well now I can put this brief interlude aside and get back to Jenny with re-newed enthusiasm .
  20. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

With this diorama I hope to be able to use more card building techniques!