"How to Build Large Scale Dioramas"

Discussion in 'Dioramas & Displays' started by JohnReid, Jul 7, 2007.

1. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

2. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

3. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

This is my parts catcher,an old elastic edged mattress cover turned upside down.It really works well and has saved my sanity on many an occasion
  4. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

A modeling cocoon!:twisted:

Russell
  5. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

6. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

The instruction booklet is not very clear on how to put this engine together ,so I will take a few more pics to supplement their text.I assume that anyone putting this engine together in the future ,will already have a booklet.Model Expo has also put up a copy of it on their website.
    I plan to build up one cylinder at a time around the crankcase.
    Be sure to clean up all parts and dry fit everything before final assembly.
  7. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

8. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

9. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

10. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

11. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

John:

I used Tamiya Acrylic. Water based paint.

Would enamel work better.???

Hi! I am not sure about enamel as I haven't really used it much and I was never very happy with Tamiya acrylic that you thin with alcohol .Personally I use JoSonja acrylic mostly because it dries absolutely flat in its natural state.By adding your own varnish
    you have complete control over the toughness of the surface depending on where you want to use it.With figures for example when I know they won't be subject to a lot of handling and I want to retain a fairly flat finish ,I use only a little varnish or none at all.With a light rubbing of your finger over the surface you can then bring it up to a low luster.(especially nice for the leather look)If you were doing something like a model RR train that would be handled a lot I would use as much varnish as I can(subject to it getting too shiny) and even top coat it with a semi-luster varnish to toughen it up.The nice thing about this type of paint is that you have complete control over the shine and the toughness of the surface you want.In addition ,if you screw up ,you don't have to start all over again as long as you have put your paint on in thin coats.Say for example you find the surface too shiny you can come back over it with just the tube paint and start again with a new flat surface.As far as how easily it chips,which was your original question ,I would try just experimenting a bit with a tube of the paint and a little varnish.Let the paint set for a few days though.Another nice thing about Jo Sonja is that it is quite easy to remove for the first 24 hours(approx)
    Cheers! John.
  12. Fishcarver

Fishcarver Active Member

John: Great work so far! You are a true artist!!

I too love JoSonja acrylics and use them almost exclusively on my carvings.

I have been meaning to ask you: where did you get the great figures for your 1/16 scale dio?

Regards,
    Jim
  13. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

Hi Jim! some I bought,some I made and some I modified.The main grouping of pilots for this diorama I got from "The Model Cellar".Thank you for your kind comments.Cheers! John.
  14. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

15. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

16. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

17. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

18. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

Wouldn't you know it this engine looks better from the back,which you will never see,than from the front.Maybe it is "finger trouble" on my part but the rockers look out of whack from the front side.When it is finished and on the aircraft it probably won't even be noticeable ,in fact I didn't even notice until I took the pic.The L/H casting is consistently leaning to the right.The springs are molded into the castings but could be replaced with real springs if you wish to.
  19. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

[​IMG]
    Blast from the past!
  20. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

Every once in awhile I like to put up an older pic just to keep this thread centered around the main subject, especially for the newcomers.This has been running so long now that sometimes even I lose sight of the forest for the trees.
    One aspect of this diorama that I am really happy that I thought of ,is the front view being so much different than from the other three sides.The main story line is right there for the viewer to see,with everything else blocked by the main hangar doors ,which helps to create a kind stage almost like a shadow box when the lights are turned on.This is the essential part of the diorama ,the rest is just what they call "eye candy" which I must admit I also enjoy doing.As you guys know this diorama evolved over time and has turned out to be much larger than I ever expected.