"How to Build Large Scale Dioramas"

Discussion in 'Dioramas & Displays' started by JohnReid, Jul 7, 2007.

1. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

2. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

Best Research Sites for the Camel!!!!!!!
    For model reference:
    Ken Foran : Sopwith Camel F1

Ken Foran is a good model friend of mine and one of the best scratchbuilders around.
    Enjoy! Cheers! John.
  3. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

4. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

5. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

That is one beautiful model you have there John!
    As a draftsman myself, I love to see good detailed drawings like that one and most especially the accurately built model that resulted from them.
    You have me intrigued with your project and I look forward to watching you progress with it.

Russell
  6. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

7. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

Kit contents.
    While I have had some problems in the past with poor metal castings, such as those supplied with the Model Expo Albatros and Nieuport kits ,the castings supplied with this kit are of the same quality as the Jenny ,I am happy to say.
    The wood supplied has always been of a very high quality but some of the diecut wood pieces do have some problems especially the fitting of some spars through the wing ribs of the DVa and the 28!
    So far the Jenny has been the best kit of them all for accuracy and ease of construction as well as overall quality of the parts.The plans and instruction booklet are good but as always a little other supplemental research is recommended.(I chose to build mine as a "Canuck" version).
    Although the Jenny is their most expensive kit and maybe a little more difficult to rig,it is my personal recommendation if you are a newcomer to this type of construction ,to start with this kit.Why? the frustration factor and it is the one that you are most likely to finish.The others are for the more experienced builder or for one who has already built the Jenny and doesn't mind a little scratchbuilding.Example: the undercarriage of the Albatros .The metal parts are so soft that over time it may not support the weight of the aircraft without adding some extra internal support to the legs.etc....etc...
    to be cont......
  8. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

9. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

Hi Russell! Yeah it looks pretty good (subject to my comments above)but I really won't know until I get into it.I am glad that you are enjoying it.
    Cheers! John.
  10. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

Model T Kit Contents.
    Although I have never built an Entex model before at first glance it looks good to me.I picked it up on Ebay for 15 bucks so I can't complain about the price.The kit is almost 40 years old and in excellent condition.I have built a few 1/16th car kits before and this one looks about the same quality ,which is usually very good.I plan to heavily weather and modify this kit for my own purposes much as I did on the others.
    I could have saved myself a lot of time by just buying a diecast and weathering that ,but this looks to be a lot of fun.
    If anyone out there has built this kit or if you have had experience with any other 16th Entex build,please let me know if you had any problems.
    For the figure guys out there I will be adding a few to this model(my first experience with natural lighting)
    Cheers! John.
  11. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Uhhhhhh plastic? have we had experience with PLASTIC? heh heh, I vaguely recall the stuff ;) sorry, couldnt resist :D
    Chris
  12. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

Wow! those are pretty cool aircraft on your site.My dad flew both of those aircraft during the war.
    Cheers! John.
  13. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

[​IMG]
    Some out of the bag engine parts!
  14. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

15. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

[​IMG]
    Rain=back to playing indoors!
  16. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

17. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

18. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

Confused? Yeah me too! Sorry 'bout that.
    -the car pic is to show a little greenery that I added using what the RR guys call turf builder.I used a straw color with a little green color added to represent grass in November here in the GWN.
    -The little 1/160 scale etched copper Wright racer is something that I will be fitting into the 2x2x2 showcase.At a 41mm wingspan it is the only thing I could find for this diorama within a diorama.As of right now I don't know where I will put it.The office would be perfect but I think it maybe too large.
    -the Clerget engine parts show very good quality right out of the bag.Some minor cleanup was required.The other pics are the sequence of dry fitting the parts together onto the crankshaft.
    Because I am working on some things indoors and other things outdoors there will be a certain amount of jumping around from project to project.
  19. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

Any suggestions on where I could put the little Wright racer diorama?
    I thought of having it being loaded/unloaded from the Ford truck or on top of the /Camel/van going to the university.Or on a workbench, in some out of the way corner of the hangar ,where a early fellow modeler is creating his masterpiece.Or just hanging it as a model from the ceiling of one of the shops with no case at all.Or just forget about it altogether as being just toooo much!!
    Opinions please!
  20. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

I think I like the idea about loading it on the Ford Truck to be my favorite.
    I guess because I really like those ol trucks a lot.:cool:
    I think it would be better to have it involved with some kind of action scene, than hanging from the ceiling, too.

Just my 2 cents.;)

Russell