Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Dioramas & Displays' started by JohnReid, Jul 7, 2007.
The turnbuckles look great to me John. In fact the whole structure looks fantastic.
Fire and Smoke damage.
Fire and smoke damaged engine with a little rust thrown in.
For the first time I tried using blackening patina on the metal.I put it on with an old soft brush and kept applying until I got the degree of darkening I wanted.Then I used a little thinned down raw umber acrylic here and there and finally some black and sienna rust pastels.Any final weathering will be completed upon installation of the engine in the fuselage.
Well now it is on to the lower wings.After their completion, I will begin the final weathering and fire damage on the fuselage, once the lower wings are in place.
Then it's back to the rear half of the fuselage and the tail assembly.
I can't tell you how much that I am enjoying this piece. It really is a challenging and fun thing to do,to let your imagination run wild.
I was always just a little unhappy about the weak storyline of the original diorama ,when it was just a self-contained box like structure.Now, that part of the diorama is just a tool to draw the viewer's attention ,so that I can tell the real story that is half hidden behind the open hangar door.
The real story here is only hinted at by the title "The Aces Who Never Were".There are so many stories out there about the well known national heroes that through fate or just plain luck made it to center stage.I want my diorama to tell a different story, using the well known dog-man relationship as a vehicle to tell the deeper story,of not just the dogs loss but the loss off all those who lost their loved ones to war.
All those young lives never realized by circumstances beyond their control.I think that theirs is a story worth telling.
Decisions and compromises.....
The rad piping helps to support the upper wing to the fuselage and the skid base,this was necessary due to the soft nature of the N struts metal.Unfortunately the piping somehow got reversed and I only noticed this after gluing it in.If it wasn't for the support factor,I could just break the pipes and call it accident damage.I have two options here,redo the whole thing and take a chance of screwing it up or strategically placing some debris and hide the whole thing. I think that I will chose the latter.
Why do I bother to point these screw-ups out? because in the beginning of this thread I committed to showing this build as it really is,warts and all.
My two cents worth
Bent pipes will still give support and look damaged.
While I am on this subject of known compromises in accuracy ,I think that this maybe a good time to talk a little about my personal priorities and model building.
My goal is not to be an expert of any kind, in any genre of modeling.I don't want to be the definitive answer on anything.If anyone is using my build as gospel please look elsewhere.Most experienced modelers already know this but for you guys starting out please check other sources of reference for detailed accuracy.What I am doing here is art and my priorities are totally different.Basically I want to tell an interesting story as accurately as I can ,but because the story is the primary point here, I take certain liberties with historical accuracy.Storyline wise my motto is "if it could have happened" go with it.Model wise if it looks like the aircraft represented at a normal viewing distance while in a glass case and helps tell the story ,then go with it too.My aircraft are basically props on a stage and not meant to be historical representations of the real thing.
Take a look at the above picture.I am sure that you will agree that it looks OK to the average viewer and is different and interesting in its presentation but lets look a little closer.In addition to the rad piping (my fault) there are other things wrong here.The wheel covers,the U/C legs and their fittings,the attachment for the lower wing,the "N" struts and their fittings and on and on it goes.
My work is meant to be entertaining for the viewer and to be educational for those who have little knowledge of this era of aviation,especially the children.Once upon a time...........
Someone always comes through for me just when I need it.I never expected pics like this.It seems that my depiction was not too far off the mark ,in fact it could probably use a little more char etc....
This pic is from an accident that happened to a Wright Flyer while it was under construction.
A big thank you to Rob Byrnes over on scalemotorcars.com for the info.
Lower wing main spar.
When assembling the lower wing be sure to locate the position of the main spar before trimming the ribs.The distance between the main spar and the front and rear spars are not accurate as shown on the drawings.