"How to Build Large Scale Dioramas"

Discussion in 'Dioramas & Displays' started by JohnReid, Jul 7, 2007.

1. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

Although it may be a little hard to see in this pic ,I have added a little subtle weathering ,using very watery raw umber flicked on with an old toothbrush ,which is even better than an airbrush for this purpose, as it tends to make for various size cruddy spots.Speaking about an airbrush,although I do own one from my decorative bird carving days ,I almost never use it in my diorama work.Occasionally I will use it to antique a silver or gold part on a car or for spraying a matte medium on a very smooth ,slippery surface.Just about all my work is done with a brush using watered down acrylics and pastels for shading, which is the next step in the weathering process.
  2. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

It took a little bit of looking but I finally spotted the spots.:rolleyes:
    That also brings up one of the "rules" to good weathering which is subtlety.
    A very light touch is essential as weathering occurs over time and trying to represent that on something brand new, cannot be done realistically, with a heavy hand.
    Your work on the antique automobile is simply amazing! Yes the build itself is phenomenal but the weathering makes it "real".:cool:

You certainly deserve the title of, "Master Craftsman".

Thanks for your pointers, John!

Russell
  3. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

4. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

Where areas look a little too dark I can now come back with a little light gray pastel to soften them up a bit.Next step will be to paint each nail head with burnt umber gesso ,followed by burnt sienna acrylic, softened with a little burnt sienna pastel for a nice rusty look.
  5. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

6. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

Crazy idea?
    Maybe this idea is a little over the top and may have to be saved for another day but.........(of course there is always a "but").
    The idea of a diorama within a diorama has always fascinated me!This little glass case that I found somewhere, got me to thinking.How about finding a very small scale WW1 or Wright flyer or Bleriot type aircraft and fitting it inside this little 2x2x2 inch case?Where the heck I would put this little diorama or model ,I don't know.The company office is already quite full,maybe one of the workshops?
    I remember seeing somewhere a very small series of models that were made of metal and were like the open structure type that I build.I forget the scale maybe 144th.If any of you guys remember seeing these please help!!!!
  7. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

8. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Your diorama within a diorama idea is intriguing!
    It reminds me of Norman Rockwell's self portrait of Norman Rockwell painting his self portrait! Very cool!

Also, I found that link you were looking for.
    It took me a while but here you go...
    http://www.aerobase.jp/

Enjoy
    Russell
  9. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Texman has built several planes at 1/144th I believe. Look prety darn good too!
    Chris
  10. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

I second Amazyah. Your idea for a diorama within a diorama is very interesting.

Maybe Walt Disney's office with a diorama of the "What If" Disneyland, or Donald Douglas's Art Deco office with a layout of his 1940 Douglas Plant at Long Beach Airport (which was recently torn down...sigh), along with small models of his "futuristic" designs. I may have to think about this.

Thank You JohnReid!
  11. Fishcarver

Fishcarver Active Member

John:
    Your work on this dio is REALLY good!!! :)

The "story within a story" thing is cool: but, as a friend of mine who was a professional model builder once told me, "they see what they are meant to see in the first 30 seconds. If they really like it, they'll come back for another 15 seconds worth.After that, you are preaching to the choir"

Keep up the great work. What's your next dio project?

Jim

PS: Johnny S my armour modeling friend: have you seen this?
  12. Billy Leliveld

Billy Leliveld Member

13. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

14. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

Well this is about as far as I plan to go on the roof for now.When I secure it for good I will do a few touch ups here and there.Funny, I have been meaning to eliminate that little vertical joint line on the sign square since the beginning but I see it is still there.
    I guess the next step will be to complete the rest of this engine shop/loading ramp module.As mid-summer approaches I think that I am in pretty good shape to finish this diorama by years end.(minus the Camel /trailer winter project,which is basically an add-on.)
  15. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

16. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

Thank you Russell for the website! Cheers! John.
  17. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

Jim,I have a commission from RAF Hendon to do them a diorama but we haven't decided on a subject yet.Cheers! John.
  18. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

19. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

Change of direction!
    In order to keep my flagging interest up and to take advantage of the nice weather while I can here in the GWN,I am going to change direction for awhile.
    I have begun the research for the winter 08 project,the Camel/Truck build and I may even tackle the engine/prop group at this time.
    The above pic is of course the 1/16th Camel by Model Airways.For fun I may modify it into a Sea Camel ,if I can confirm this type was send to Canada for aeronautical research at one of our universities around this time.
    Like I do with all my builds I will gather as much info as I can on the Camel and especially the engine.The internet is usually the best resource for this and although the plans in the kit look pretty good I always like to have more than just one source of info.
  20. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member