"How to Build Large Scale Dioramas"

Discussion in 'Dioramas & Displays' started by JohnReid, Jul 7, 2007.

1. Avi8tor

Avi8tor New Member

Nice work. I'd also like to get into dioramas, especially for my airplanes. Quick question where did you get that nice adjustable table? I just moved into a new place with a nice little workroom space, that table would be just the right size.
  2. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

3. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

Hi! it is a combo off an old dining room table placed upon an old TV cabinet that has wheels.Got both from neighbors who were throwing stuff away.One mans garbage ........etc...
  4. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

Diorama Book
    Here is a great opportunity to download for free a great book on diorama making.My modeling bud Ken Hamilton wrote this book years ago and it is now out of print.The original book has recently sold on ebay for 100's of bucks.

http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a2/mercman51/DIO Book/

Enjoy! Cheers John.
  5. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

Research pictures needed.
    After thinking about it for awhile,I plan to build the fuselage and wings pretty much like I built the others.Because the fuselage is split in two the only thing holding the two halves together are the control wires.Therefore the fuselage will be built initially in one piece,broken and then bend.How much of the plywood covering forward of the cockpit area that I will do will depend on the amount of fire damage that will be shown.The fire would have to be large enough to flash burn the fabric off the wings but not large enough to consume the complete engine area.If the accident occurred at the airfield there would have been an attempt to rescue the pilot ,which would necessitate the use of some type of fire fighting equipment or other to subdue the flames during the rescue .By the look of the wreckage he was killed by blunt force trauma or G forces and not by fire.
    The wings will be built as usual with damage added later.
    The aft half of the fuselage will require that a lot of the plywood covering be shown .The tails planes would mostly be stress damage.
    If anyone has knowledge of any pictures of wood and fabric airplanes ,old or new ,that have suffered this kind of damage ,please advise.

JohnReid Active Member

Here I am working on the final placement of the "T" and the WW1 pilots on their landscaping module.I kind of like this arrangement as it allows some space for the viewer to be included.I also like the idea of the back of the leg of the Patton figure just touching the Fords tire.Why? I really don't know.I just think it looks cool.
  7. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

8. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

9. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

Foundation underbrush.
    I took a piece of wood wrapped it in waxpaper and used it as a simulated hangar foundation.I had originally built up a small mound a sand all around the hangar perimeter which left a nice little depression which I can now fill with vegetation.
    There would naturally be more vegetation around the foundation as it is not as subject to wear and tear.
    I used different colors of what they call "underbrush" and then played around with adding turf here and there until it looked more natural.In the pic the glue mix (25/75 )has just been applied so it still looks a little whitish but by this morning it is completely transparent.
    The jar of underbrush on the right has had a little yellow ochre sprayed on it using the sieve/airbrush method.
  10. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

11. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

12. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

13. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

Not bad for a city boy, eh!
  14. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

15. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

The smoking buds bodies an done ,now it is on to the heads.I employed my usual method of shading with pastels over flat paint.I think that I will have to put the big guy standing in a gully.
  16. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

17. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

Well now it is back to the crashed Albatros.I am really looking forward to doing this as it is something that I have never attempted before.I plan to build the whole thing on a skid type platform that I can easily rotate 360 deg for ready access to everything.I figure that chances are that if they were in a hurry to remove it from the field they would have slid planks under the engine area and dragged it off the field ,probably with horses.Once deposited near the hangar,there it would be scavenged for parts.
  18. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

19. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

20. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member