"How to Build Large Scale Dioramas"

Discussion in 'Dioramas & Displays' started by JohnReid, Jul 7, 2007.

1. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

2. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

Each time I look at this thread I think "You mean to tell me a HUMAN BEING made this stuff?!" Unbelieveable! :thumb:
  3. space

space New Member

you do beautiful work. I'am into model railroading and I came across this link a while back, it may or may not be of intrest to you Personalize Your Pilot
  4. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

Thanks guys!
  5. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

I think that I will now finish off this little horse-tub area .
    All the major components of the diorama are now build and just need a little finishing.The lighting is 95% done and just needs to be hooked up.
    There is still quite a bit of work to be done on the landscaping around the hangar but this is usually fun to do.
    Oh! I almost forgot the guys on "tea time" have yet to be positioned and painted.The end of February and I think that I am just about on schedule .
    This is an exciting time to finally see it all coming together.
    Not a lot of creative stuff left to do so......
    Now my mind is starting to wander to the backyard flier project ,which I am really looking forward to as the storyline leaves me lots of room to be creative.How would I have designed my flier ,in my backyard, had I had been a young man back then?(1917)
  6. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

7. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

8. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

9. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

10. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

11. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

12. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

It is here around the engine shop that the majority of the work is left to be done.Then the wiring must be all connected up and a few figures added to the outside. Finally ,I think that we are slowly getting there!
    I was worried that the engine shop walls looked too high especially with all those vertical battens emphasizing the height.After leaning up those crates to the wall it seems to bring it all together.
    This corner is very important to the success of the overall piece as it gives the viewer some nice sight lines into the workshop and hangar.
  13. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

14. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

15. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

I am thinking about having these two guys sitting on boxes taking a break near the loading area.One guy is actually sitting on an old aircraft seat that I have often seen hanging around out old airports.I think that they kind of fit in with the general relaxed mood of the whole scene.(probably tea time)
    The last two figures will be standing out near the back door sneaking a cigarette.
  16. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

For the period. I think the abandoned car has far too much decay on it. It looks like it's been sitting for 20-30 years. It's probably 5-10 at most.
  17. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

18. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

Posing figures.
    Although on occasion I will do a major modification on a figure (such as from a standing to a seated position ) mostly l try to work with what I got out of the box.The challenge is to come up with a good idea of how to use them.To create a little scenario that helps to tell the story of the diorama.I seldom use action poses .My purpose is to hold the viewers eye just long enough so that he really doesn't expect any movement from the figures.Long enough for him to suspend his disbelief at what he is looking at and let his imagination get to work.
    My goal someday is to have complete control over the process from start to finish .Creating a figure to scale,painting it and have it look like a particular person.
  19. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

Hi StevO the car is from around 1913,the era represented is as late as 1927.The rest is artistic license.
  20. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

ah interesting. My guess was just post war with the car being about 1915-1918. guess the manufacturer didn't know how to paint their cars to withstand the elements. =)