"How to Build Large Scale Dioramas"

Discussion in 'Dioramas & Displays' started by JohnReid, Jul 7, 2007.

1. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

2. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

3. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

4. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

Taking pictures,the fun part!
    If there is one thing that I enjoy as much as diorama making ,it is taking pics of the diorama.In some ways I enjoy it even more, as it is a very creative activity and instantly rewarding with todays digital cameras.
    I have revised my plans for the lighting,everything will be hooked up to a simple on/off switch with a control for the lighting intensity.I figure in a museum setting on or off will be all that is required.The bulbs will burn out and changing them is possible but not easy.If they are used sparingly though they should last for awhile.I will suggest to the museum staff that they also devise an alternate way of lighting the display case for daily use so the interior lights will only be turned on for the kids during the educational sessions.Until I ship it off their will be plenty of opportunity to creatively play with the lights,leaving some rooms lit while turning others off for all kinds of different effects.
  5. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

6. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

From another website!
    M Mephiticas wrote:
    Dioramas are an art form.
    Anyone that says otherwise must be blind.
    These creations are indeed miniature works of 3 dimensional art.

That has always been my feeling too! It always bothered me that most modelers (and some still do) think that dioramas are nice bases that you set your model on.In fact some websites still have dioramas listed under bases or decorations for your model.
    That is what got me going posting these threads on the various websites.I feel that dioramas should be recognized for what they are 3D ART!
    A few years ago (7-8) I had heard that Shep Paine was getting tired of promoting dioramas and wished that someone else would carry the ball for awhile.I am sure that you have heard of his wonderful work,in fact he has published a few books on the subject.Anyway ,I thought why not take up the challenge and use the more modern tool ,the internet to do so.Besides who wants to get involved with all the hassles of book publishing.Another wonderful dioramist and pioneer in modern diorama making is Ken Hamilton ,who also has a book published that I would recommend to anyone.Promoting dioramas now takes up about half of my hobby time but who cares it is a labor of love and besides it is great for the old ego to get such wonderful responses to my work!
    Cheers! John.
  7. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

8. jyduchene

jyduchene Member

John I have been following you with great admiration. No one who models, regardless of medium can not be taken with your work. I have a curiosity. Some pages ago you showed a photo with a skillet hanging on the wall. I have not seen a heat source. My father had a shop at least as old as this as an upholster. There was always a potbelly stove, to heat, burn scrap, heat beans, bend wood, melt lead and so on. Have I just missed this among the details? Thanks and keep adding. An enterprise such as this is always a little cluttered just so as to be efficient.

Thanks, John
  9. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

Hisso engine for the airshow car.I thought that I would start with a coat of burnt umber gesso to dull things down and get to a color closer to rust.This engine will be outside the car laying on the ground and rusting away.The base it is sitting on is actually a wooden part of the real car.They did some funny things in 1909!The bottom side of the engine will be buried in the sandy soil which saves me from scratchbuiding something that would never be seen anyway.

JohnReid Active Member

Hi John! yes I have 2 stoves in the diorama,one in the carpenters shop and one in the engine shop! You wouldn't think that the management of "Reid and Sons" would let their employees freeze up here in the GWN ,would you?
  11. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

12. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

You are truly a master of your art, John! My hat's off to you, sir: that is looking absolutely fantastic!
  13. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

14. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

15. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

The last major component of this diorama!
    The Camel /Ford truck will be the last major component of this diorama yet to be built.The pictures here offer 2 nice ideas to think about.
    The Ford model T truck changed little over the years and many were modified by their owners for their own use.In fact I believe Ford at the time would sell you the basic frame and engine and you could put your own body on it.The opportunities therefore are endless for modification.
    Both of the arrangements pictured here ,I like equally well.I plan to put no fabric on the Camel so most parts should remain easily visible.The fuse on the truck and the wings on a trailer allows for maximum visibility while the other offers a more restrictive, view especially of the fuselage.I kind of like the idea of the airplane being towed using its own undercarriage and there would be no trailer to build.
    The Ford 1/16th model could be used pretty much as is ,with extra parts on the roof rack ,although I would have to build a small extension for the tail to rest on.Decisions,decisions!!!
  16. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

17. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Looking great! Thanks for the update :) I appreciate how you explain why you are choosing certain ways to do things :D
    Chris
  18. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

Keeping my options open!
    I decided to attach the engine to the frame because I am limited for room where I plan to put this old wreck.I may just rust the frame and leave the body off completely! I really don't know at this point.The fun of doing this is if something doesn't work out you can just throw an old tarp over it and it will still look good.I tried something a little different this time with the weathering.Over the burnt umber gesso I applied the rust pastels and then finger flicked(the old toothbrush spray method )on some thin raw umber to get a more realistic effect.
  19. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

20. dansls1

dansls1 Member

I think the weathering looks good on the engine - but it's missing the grimey oil leaking out in various hidden places to pool around the bottom ;)

I suppose if somebody had drained an engine and left it to sit it might look like yours, but most of the time (yes, I've seen way too many cars left to sit) there's going to be grimey oil leaked around the bottom.

Hope you don't mind the input.