"How to Build Large Scale Dioramas"

Discussion in 'Dioramas & Displays' started by JohnReid, Jul 7, 2007.

1. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Awesome!

Russell
  2. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

3. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

"Memories of Flying School" storyline.
    For those who may be newcomers to this thread this pic tells the main storyline of the diorama. Billy Bishop (facing camera) is welcoming Eddie R. (on the right) and some fellow vets to a Rememberance Day (Nov.11)ceremony at a local Southern Ontario airport around 1925.Although you cannot see Billy's hands in this pic he is giving the familiar "thumbs up" to his fellow aviators.I had thought of using another universal pilots gesture ,with the hands showing one aircraft chasing another, but that would indicate a discussion about aerial combat tactics rather than a funny story about their initial flying training.

JohnReid Active Member

5. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

For those who are new to this thread and wonder why it is so darn long,the primary reason is so that I can keep it all in one place until it is finished.When completed I will write up a easier to read summary of this build.The other reason is that it is the only way I have of knowing just how popular this subject is on the different websites that I contribute to.I am sure that you guys understand that if I didn"t have this kind of indirect feedback I would have lost interest in posting this never-ending ,near monologue a long time ago.
    There is a site where I have written short summaries on all three dioramas that I have worked on to date.
    Please see:

John Reid : WWI Models

Cheers! John.
  6. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

7. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

The above pic is of the engine shop roof.I have divided it in two with a slightly larger wood strip to help break up the monotony of the B&W squares.If need be I may even paint it a little different color.The unfinished square is where I thought off having a viewing hole, but have since realized that when the case is on ,this would be useless.Even the large viewing hole in the main hangar roof will be somewhat restricted.Good thing that I put in lots of windows!
    The weathering will be the same as you see in the pics main roof corner.
  8. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

9. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

On the Larger Scales!
    As you guys know,I really like 1/16th scale and would recommend it to anybody interested in doing dioramas.1/18th would also be great and the availability of diecasts in that scale is a real plus factor.Personally ,I think that the smallest I would go is 1/32.I have ,waiting in the wings ,a lot of 1/32 air racers of the 30's ,for a future diorama that I am planning titled "The Calm Before the Storm" .A diorama based upon the night before the big race.At 1/32 scale it would be half the size of what I have been doing up until now.(Don't hold your breath though as this would be after I do the RAF Hendon piece.)
    If your goal is to ultimately do something for a museum it seems to me that they also prefer the larger scales.If you want something to keep at home ,some of the modular size scenes such as those that are contained in the "Memories......." diorama ,could be used to tell a good story with just the addition of a few figures.
    The larger scales are great for beginners ,who would like to do lots of detail ,as just about anything can be reproduced.They are also more forgiving while developing your techniques.Believe me I worked for 25 years in 1/72 when building ships, so I have had some experience in both small and large scales.
    After you develop your basic skills and gain a little confidence ,that you really can do it,the smaller scales can be attempted with a greatly reduced frustration factor.I know a lot of builders have the opposite view of starting small and then going big but my experience has been quite different.

JohnReid Active Member

[​IMG]
    In the beginning!
  11. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

The Ride!
    The pic above shows just how far this diorama has evolved from what I had planned in the beginning.I hadn't even thought of doing modules other than an interior workshop.The only part of this diorama that was pre-planned is what you see here.The reason that I mention this is to illustrate how much of your creativity can be added as you go along.I like to have a rough idea of the dimensions and the storyline going in,but a lot of the rest just happens over time.This is what makes it really a lot of fun for me ,is not even I have any idea of what it will look like upon completion.On a long project such as this keeping your interest up is essential.This started out to be a Jenny in a hangar with a few figures and a showcar which I thought that I could wrap up in a year or so! When it comes to estimating time "forget about it".The best thing to do is sit back and enjoy the ride,and let your creative instincts take you where they may! Cheers! John.
  12. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

[​IMG]
    Before weathering!
  13. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

You sure do some magical work John!
    You are very talented and it is a joy to watch your build progress!

I enjoy it immensely, so thank you, for sharing!

Russell
  14. Fishcarver

Fishcarver Active Member

John:

This kind of work is exactly what we need in this category.

Your work is superb!!! Please continue to contribute.

Sincere best regards,

Jim
  15. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

Weathering the roof!
    The above pic depicts the engine shop/loading ramp roof sections.In order to add some interest and not to make it look too monotonous I broke it into two sections using a larger and slightly different color board.The two halves don't match up perfectly and the nail patterns are not evenly spaced ,which suggests that the loading ramp may have been added at a later time.I haven't yet decided whether to put the woodstove's chimney through the roof or off to the side.The signs are for interest mostly, but I have seen pics of signs such as this during the pre-radio days ,advertising the availability of emergency maintanence.
    As I did with the flooring I will treat this roof area as a canvas and try to make it as interesting as possible by shading and weathering where necessary.The first step is to break out the watery raw umber acrylic and crud things up a bit with our trustly toothbrush sprayer.This whole roof area is very important to the overall success of this diorama as it is an eye-catcher and the first thing that the casual viewer would probably notice when walking by.

JohnReid Active Member

Thanks Russell and Jim! Your kind comments mean a lot to me.Cheers! John.
  17. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

18. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

Thinking ahead a bit to the Camel/Trailer build (I think I am getting anxious to build another airplane)The arrangement above would also be worth consideration.I am planning to leave the structure of the aircraft open with no fabric,so that close up views would be possible.With the fuselage on the truck and the wings on the trailer it may make for a better view than what I was planning. The trailer itself is also quite interesting in its construction.
  19. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

The other option![​IMG]
  20. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member