"How to Build Large Scale Dioramas"

Discussion in 'Dioramas & Displays' started by JohnReid, Jul 7, 2007.

1. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

A good idea but most of this cannot be seen anyway.Thanks! Cheers,John.
  2. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

3. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

2nd figure group!
    I call this my Jimmy Stewart group.Notice the face in the window!Jimmy is trying to make a little time with Bonnie while Clyde is loading the truck.These figures are now in their permanent position, except Bonnie ,who will have to be glued to the truck and pinned to the floor.The edge of the box can just be seen in this pic.I will have to stick something over the screw head.
  4. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

5. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

6. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

Movin on.
    This grouping is not yet finished but it gives you an idea of how the figures will relate to one another.Bonnie doesn't look all that interested in what is being said,rather she is looking away at the fighter pilot group.Jimmy seems to be laughing at his own joke ,while Clyde has dropped the wing rib on his foot.Jimmy needs a bath judging by his shirt collar(the camera picks up every little thing)
    After I clean up this grouping a bit and finish the truck screw down assembly and the wheel barrow,it will be time to move on to the R/H sidewall.
  7. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

[​IMG]
    My tribute to the Wrights!
  8. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

9. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

I found this plan for a Wright Bros 1903 Flier and I couldn't resist putting this little tribute to the Wrights in the diorama.You would have to really search to find it as it is behind the truck and only viewable through the garage door.The 2nd pic would not be normally available once the roof is on.This is part of a game I like to play when kids view this diorama ,now or in the future.It really helps to draw them in when you ask them to find the Flier or the four animals that will ultimately be in there.The horse and dog are easy to spot but the owl and cat (especially the cat) are another story.Kids love these games and I will encourage the museum to do likewise.
  10. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

11. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

New 1/16th figure from Trumpeter Models.(TSM 701) Soviet army tank crewman WW2 but could easily be adapted to a mechanic in coveralls representing just about any era.He is in a nice relaxed casual position .It is my personal opinion that these ,still or relatively still poses ,can be used to great advantage in a diorama.In fact ,all of my figures in this and the other two dioramas do imply some action ,but actually could be held in its position for even a few seconds ,which I think makes them more believable.In other words,the viewer can suspend his disbelief for just a few seconds while viewing the scene.Waiting for the other shoe to drop,so to speak, can in the short term be very powerful in catching the viewers eye ,it can be a little irritating over the long haul.Just think how out of place it would look to have some figure striding across the hangar floor or in mid-flight jumping off a truck.(Just my opinion)
    That being said I just gotta get one of these figures!
  12. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

13. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

I had a lot of left over wing ribs ,so I decided to build a couple of broken wing sections to add to the trash and R/H side wall ,to make things a little more interesting.
  14. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

15. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

16. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

Taking pics while I can!
    Some of these camera angles will be lost to me once the roof is on so I am taking advantage while I can.
    The last pic is through the office window shutters that separates it from the carpenters shop.In the foreground you can see the woodcarving tools and a prop being worked on.Through the far window you can see the back of Al's hat.The blue box on the floor under the workbench is where Chester the cat resides.
  17. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

18. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

Left hangar wall.
    I am now making up one more broken wing segment to stand against the wall and then that will be enough to pretty much cover that area.
    I am thinking of making some old cockpit floorboards and securing down a flight control assembly as I have all the parts available to me.I could set it on the floor near the Jenny basketcase . The assembly would not normally be taken out in one piece but it would make for a nice educational tool.
  19. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

I have been away for a few days, getting caught up in things, as always.
    It's good to come back to your thread and catch up with your progress on your diorama, John! Very enjoyable!

I think you have an excellent idea there! That is a great way to get the kids involved and get them to looking at every nook and cranny! I would bet that it is truly enjoyable to watch them "discover" all the little things they would have missed had they not taken the opportunity to really look things over. To see their eyes light up with joy has to be the biggest reward you could ever get for your efforts!

You should probably think about opening your own museum someday, John!
    Your work is certainly museum quality! (A little pat on the back and some kudos for ya!)

Keep up the great work, John! I am enjoying every little bit!;)

Russell
  20. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member