"How to Build Large Scale Dioramas"

Discussion in 'Dioramas & Displays' started by JohnReid, Jul 7, 2007.

1. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

2. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

3. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

4. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

Finally!
    Well now that everything has been cleared away,it is time to get down to permanently installing the bits and pieces ,starting with the old girl herself.I have placed her in position and marked where the left hand wheel will be located.I drilled a hole through the hangar floorboards where the securing wire will pass through.
    I will put chocks both in front and behind the wheel and secure them to the hangar floor.The wheel will slip in between the chocks and be secured by the wire.I want everything about this diorama to be able to be broken down and taken apart with minimum effort.The pictures that I will be taking will go with the diorama as a permanent record of how this can be done.
  5. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

6. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Thats a beautiful plane! This is going to make a very nice diorama!

Just wanted to let you know that I'm still with you!
    I check in on you every day! Keep up the nice work!:thumb:

Russell
  7. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

[​IMG]
    The birdcage!
  8. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

Thanks Russell! Glad you like it!
  9. dansls1

dansls1 Member

He's not the only one. Everything looks really good - and the explanations of what you are doing are very interesting.
    Dan
  10. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

11. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

Jenny 4 attachment points.
    These are the 4 attachment points that I am thinking about.One wheel ,2 wingtips and a tailskid towbar.I would really like to leave the wingtips free but there is just too much stress at the wing roots.The braces are not too weighty looking ,as sawhorses would be.
  12. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

13. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

14. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

15. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

Installing Jenny!
    The pics of the main wheel installation are pretty much self-explanatory .
    I had forgotten about the wingtip skids that I had made awhile ago ,so I think that I will use these to secure the wings ,rather than the wing brace idea.The aircraft's wingspan is less obstructed and the screwjack sort of suggests something going on, maybe a repair of the wing skid itself.The other skid only has blocks to support it ,but there will eventually be a grouping of four pilot figures standing in this area ,so it will hardly be noticeable.
  16. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

17. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

I have only temporarily installed a somewhat crude looking screw jack to the wing tip skids.After I finalize the exact angle that I want the airplane to be in the hangar,I will fasten down the tail skid to the tow bar and then work on the wing supports.With everything then stabilized I can finally tighten up the rigging for the last time without any annoying movement.Prior to this,if you tightened up a landing wire,a flying wire would come loose or maybe even and interplane cross brace wire.I guess that you can now see why I had to take everything apart down to the bare hangar floor,just to have enough room to work on all this stuff.
    I don't plan to put a lot of junk lying around the main hangar floor for two reasons.One, I want the main focus to be on the airplane and related main storyline.Two ,being a day of remembrance and management having invited all these dignitaries to the hangar for a get together,I figure that a small clean-up campaign would be in order,especially for military men.
    If anyone has any suggestions for some subtle eye candy it could still be added now.I thought of maybe a sand filled fire pail or two but what it really needs is something unexpected ,like the spilled nuts and bolts on the floor idea ,that I accidentally came up with to put in the Nieuport diorama.Or the washing on the line in the up coming "Backyard Flyer" diorama but of course something just a little more subtle than that!
  18. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Hmmm, how about a lone maintenance worker in dirty coveralls, on his hands and knees, cleaning up some spilled paint or some glass from a broken light bulb and next to him is a hand truck with a bunch of boxes and cans precariously stacked? Or something to that effect.
    Just trying to exercise my imagination and throw out some ideas.:rolleyes:

Russell
  19. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

Hey, I got an idea! How about doing just the outline of a few things such as pails,boxes or whatever using pastels.That would also suggest a clean-up of some kind had been carried out.Any others?
  20. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

Thanks Russ! Fun isn't it?