how smooth

roads can be anything you want em to be of course it all depends on your town/city budget. not all roads are completly smooth. as for paint i use walmarts 99cent black paint in thier craft section.

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
You can also mix gray and black paint together to get more of a road look.

Just be carful not to put to much black mixed with the gray as the will black will just "take over" the other color. When I did my old roads (Now most torn up by construction and black sand paper to give it texture) I used one part black and 2 or 3 part grey and and it worked well.

shaygetz

I use the backside of asphalt shingles, no coloring involved. Weathered with pastel chalks and sealed with Dulcote, I use paint pens for the lines.

Attachments

• roadies.jpg
    roadies.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 101

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
:wave: Hey shaygetz, I use sand paper and I can see the seems where one peice meets the other. Does your asphalt shingles do this to?

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
O and that construction company that owns that peice of equipment on the tracks better hope a train does not come and smash into it and cause a derailment!!sign1 sign1

hooknlad

If you are modeling NJ roads - your layout will require lots of toll booths on the roadways ( one every 10 scale miles), plenty of deep pot holes, clogged storm drains, some roads under water....

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
hooknlad said:
If you are modeling NJ roads - your layout will require lots of toll booths on the roadways ( one every 10 scale miles), plenty of deep pot holes, clogged storm drains, some roads under water....

don't forget the deer every few hundred feet!

I would use lightweight hydrocal, with woodland Scenic's Paving tape. once you have all the rouds outlined in paving tape, start spreading they hydorcal ( make in small amounts, because it sets fast). smooth it with a trowl, then wait for it to dry. when its dry, drag a trowal over it again, until its super super smooth.

If you want to make it a concrete road ( or add any patches), take a ruler or straight edge and an exacto blade, and lightly drag the blade along. don't push ot hard or deep or you'll ruin the road. just nice and light.

once thats done, use woodland scenic's top coat, which comes in either Asphault or Concrete. it already has cousre pigmenst or sand in it, so when you paint it one, it will make the smooth surface rough.

shaygetz

TruckLover said:
:wave: Hey shaygetz, I use sand paper and I can see the seems where one peice meets the other. Does your asphalt shingles do this to?

SSsssssshhhhhhh...only if I let them:thumb:

What I do is cut inwardly at each joint so that they meet almost perfectly invisible. If you look at the grade crossings you'll see where the others show no seams as I developed the technique.

Here's another shot, showing the lines I do with paint pens...BTW, that's a little used branch line that the locals seem to favor when they bust a pose with their vehicles:rolleyes: :D

Attachments

• roadieze.jpg
    roadieze.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 79

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Thanks shaygetz,

I am sure that will work.

Where do you get your asphalt shingels from, the hardware store? I think I like your roads way better than mine.

shaygetz

TruckLover said:
Where do you get your asphalt shingels from, the hardware store? I think I like your roads way better than mine.

Thanks, Trucklover...shingles are easy to get here where I live. 'Bout every ten months or so a Cat 3 or above hurrycane'll run a ruccus thru here and leave me all the shingles I need:thumb:

Other than that, I would go to a local house under construction. Once they finish roofing, there will be plenty of raw stock to draw from, free for the asking...once they figure you're serious about your intended use:D A full pack doesn't cost that much split up amongst fellow modelers either. What's nice is a full shingle is nearly 3 feet long---fewer seams on a long stretch and usually far enough from each other as to not get noticed.

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Ok you have made me determined to get some of those shingles. I might have to drive around town looking for people getting new roofs.sign1 sign1

Thanks