How small/big for DCC?

aslan

May 16, 2006
I'm almost ready to set up my set using WS River Pass. I may modify it a little bit. Should I start with DCC even though it's going to have at most 2 trains? Is there a "rule" that one decides DCC over DC?
Thanks,
Stan

91rioja

Mar 18, 2006
High Point, NC
I'm not sure if there is a "rule" to DC vs. DCC. I have a small layout in HO, and I'm going DCC. Right now, my loco fleet consists of one engine that has DCC installed. I will be putting decoders in two more in the coming months. I like the idea of one throttle to control my trains as opposed to multiple cabs and block wiring.

Hope this helps.

LongIslandTom

Apr 8, 2006
Long Island, NY
Aslan,

Even if you don't have a big layout or run multiple trains, DCC is still a very good thing to have for its lighting and sound functionality. These days, engines are coming equipped with things like flashing ditchlights and onboard sound.. You won't be able to get those things to work on straight DC without heavy mods.

Hope this helps!

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
aslan, no matter what size you are building, my advice is START OUT RIGHT AWAY, with DCC:D, believe me, you'll thank yourself in the long run:thumb:. :D -Deano

aslan

May 16, 2006
Thanks. I have the money now to buy all of the equipment, trains, layout now so I just figured that DCC would be the logical step to take.
Stan

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
Stan, I'm kinda in the same boat - deciding to leave me DC operation for DCC. You may want to stat your information gathering at your LHS. Plus, the DCC section of this forum is a great place to pick up some good info about DCC operations.

L

lester perry

If I were to be starting new now I would definitely start with DCC and sound. I started 20 years ago and recently started DCC it is rather costly at this point. I have 50 Locomotives to convert, maybe.
Les

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Here is an excellent debate from a few months ago on the same question:

Would you go DCC if...?

I think that the more complex you want to make the layout, the more you will want DCC. Having a small layout counts as "complexity", since there is the possibility of multiple engines running in close proximity.

There are also all the neat features mentioned above - sound, signalling, train detection, reversing loops that are all either simplified and/or made possible by DCC.

Andrew

aslan

May 16, 2006
Andrew, thanks so much for the link. I missed that one when I did my search. Since this is going to be my first layout, along with all new everything, it seems to make sense to go with the DCC system. My preference, after doing a lot of reading, is leaning toward Digitrax Zephyr.
Thanks to everyone too.
Stan

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
Hi Stan
I think all of the major systems are quality and they all have their fans(and rightly so). I recently purchased a Zephyr and even though I'm a newbie and a technological dinosaur...I had no trouble setting it up and getting the trains runnin'. I am very pleased with it. good luck.