How Much Should I Buy??

msh

Jul 2, 2002
Charlotte, NC
www.moctezuma-us.com
Pretty subjective question here, but since this is my first attempt at scenery I don't want to get way too much or too little ground cover. I've attached a pic of the 4 x 8 layout in its entirety, (3 pictures crudely stitched together into one single frame) with general directions for what's where. Sorry if it's too wide for your browsers. I've come across a neat vendor selling their wares in 32 oz shaker bottles and 64 oz jumbo tubs at http://www.scenicexpress.com and I'm just all frazzled at how much I should get in the mix of colors I want to use.

here's the layout:
layout.jpg

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Poverty Acres, North Carolina
Visit site
First off I think your stitch job came out great. It's hard to say for sure how much you will need, but I would get 1 each of at least 3 different colors or shades of the 32 oz. size. If it's not quite enough you will know by then pretty much how much more you will need so you don't end up with twice as much as you needed.

rockislandmike

Nov 6, 2001
Edmonton AB
dayfornight.qazam.com
Agreed. I haven't done a lot of this on my layout yet, but with three colors, 32oz shakers will be more than enough to do quite a bit. And if you need more later, so be it.

But the three colors is the key, it looks much more realistic than just one.

pcentral

Jul 17, 2002
Central California
Visit site
Hi MSH,
I agree, start with the 3 colors. If you need more there will be a Great American Train Show on Sept. 14 & 15 in Charlotte. There is always a full selection of scenery stuff from Scenic Express available at the shows ( at least here in CA, anyway). Just a tip, if you buy ground foam put about half of the shaker in another container. By doing this it allows the foam to expand and loosen up, thereby easier to use and it looks better.

msh

Jul 2, 2002
Charlotte, NC
www.moctezuma-us.com
Nuff said, Gang. I will be purchasing three of the 32oz bottles, three colors, probably WS Green blend, Earth blend and Weeds, along with some Yellow and Brown coarse. AND let's not forget clump foliage and lichen! Trees? Ahhh, next month. Plus I've got to check out the grounds outside - you never know what you might find out there.

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Northern Rivers NSW Australia
Scenic stuff

I trust you mean volume, not weight, when reffering to 32oz? That's 2lb otherwise!! :eek: :eek:

I did my whole 4' X 8' layout with a bag each of 3 different sorts, each bag, not much bigger than the standard "sandwich" zip-lock type bag, at about $5 US a bag, I think. With some left over too.

If it's 32oz (ie about 1 1/2 pints) bottle, then that should be about right, and you'll still have maybe 1/4 of it left over, depending how thick you put it on.

That's going on what I did, but everyones different, but!:D

msh

Jul 2, 2002
Charlotte, NC
www.moctezuma-us.com
Yeah Woody - you're right, that is volume. I discovered those sandwhich size bags for the earth and green blends, and that they covered only a few cubic inches less than that which comes in the 50 cubic inch (32oz) shaker bottles. I almost bought the two bags, but decided the extra couple bucks per blend would give me that shaker and a solid storage place too. Now I've just got to decide on the water product and I'm good to order up the scenic materials!

Thanks!