How many unfinished projects do you have....

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
I was going through my workshop and layout room and started counting and writing down the projects that I started but haven't finished. Anyone else like this? here they are in no particular order:

1) Central valley stock car Finish assembly paint and decal Weather

2) MDC HOn3 shay rebuild

3) Retofit an unknown FP-7 shell onto an athearn chassis

4) DPM M.T. arms hotel paint, assemble, interior

5) City Classics grocery store interior

6) P2K sw1200 paint and decal

7) Add weight to freight cars on the layout.

8) DPM theatre and bar kits (gold series) add details

9) add sidwalks to my finished city areas

10) Repair reefer car that fell off my layout (ouch!)

11) Tugboat kit for the harbour assemble, paint, weather

12) Paint backdrop

13) trees (another 10 on the way)

14) Finish assembling the trestle for my logging area

15) Finish the creekbed and add water for the above trestle

16) Repair 4-6-0 tender trucks

17) Solder HOn3 logging railroad's wiring.

There's probably more but I want to finish at least 5 of these before starting any new ones. But first I have to clean the workshop....

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Glen, your list makes me feel better! :) I have plenty of unfinished things too which I won't list here but I do make list of things to do and try to cross one off once in a while!
Ralph

radar

Jan 14, 2007
wichita , KS
Does the layout count? 3 proto 2000 coverd hoppers all those little parts,back drop tracklaying decoder in an athearn bb f-7 buildings rock cut trees every thing!11

liven_letdie

Mar 22, 2005
Turlock, CA
www.downthelinetrains.com
Our list looks very similar, lots of painting(no compressor) and decaling(no paint) to do. Lots of unbuilt kits or kits that need detail parts and the like. Many engines to upgrade to DCC and several excess items to get rid of to make room to do all of this other stuff! Ah what a web we weave. sign1

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
Well I managed to clean out the workshop this morning, mostly putting my MR back issues away and shoveling out the garbage that collects on the floor. The stock car is almost finished the assembly stage, as well as the reefer.
I do have a compressor but I have to wait until the temp here gets a couple degrees above freezing before I even think about airbrushing.

metalfrog

Apr 21, 2006
northeast kansas
well im glad im not the only one who has unfinished business to take care of.
have about eight bldgs that need to be finished.
have nine loco's needing decoder's.
use to love ballasting but keep putting it off!
have so many thing's to do but that is what
is so great about this hobby.terry.....

Alan Bickley

Dec 22, 2003
Bicester, Oxford, UK
Visit site
I daren't think about counting my unfinished projects!
The trouble is with me is that I do a lot of road vehicles in HO, and these seem to add up a lot quicker than rolling stock. As for the rolling stock.......!

ed acosta

Aug 4, 2005
Washington-British Columbia
Unfinished Projects

Throughout my working career my friends kept reminding me that I should be saving for my retirement. So I compiled a list of unfinished railroad projects and when the list grew long enough I figured I had saved enough to quit work!

-Ed Acosta

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Glen: Only 17 unfinished projects? Your layout's almost completed then!
I've probably got more than that in just my "started but not done" file, and even more in the "bought but unstarted" box, to say nothing of the "looked at and got scared" category.
And then there's the "nearly done so I put it on the layout" collection.

MadModeler

May 20, 2006
I tried listing my unfinished projects and my computer threatened to go on strike!sign1

Basically, I have the new hobby room to plan and put together, assorted home improvement projects, new ideas for my new layout, and a couple of heritage projects that I've had on the back burner for a few years.

racer25j

Jan 15, 2007
Hemet, Ca
Hmmm... let me see....

Well there's all of the Athearn kits untouched in the box.

O yeah... The entire layout. I have the track layed to test but I my wife won't let me out into the garage for more than 5 minutes at a time to rip it back up and lay the roadbed.

sigh....

N

nachoman

well, thanks to glen, I have to add another...

#?? - counting the number of unfinished projects.

kevin

CCT70

Jun 25, 2003
Man what a loaded question! I have at least 3 dozen projects just on MY layout, not to mention the startings of the new museum layout, and then there's the new large double decker that will eventually go into my new garage. That is a good 2-3 years from being started, but Alicia and I are starting it early by building it modular, and well, that's got it's own list of unfinished projects that were started and awaiting completion. Probably between 40-50 projects started and waiting to be completed, I just never have the time and when I do, I have a BAD habit of starting new ones.

ocalicreek

May 4, 2005
Puyallup, WA
groups.yahoo.com
A year or so ago I took out all the rolling stock kits I had purchased but never even touched...MDC, Athearn, vintage kits, etc. I arranged these on a shelf by brand.

Next to that I made a stack of kits bought for the purpose of kitbashing, as a starting point, wall & window fodder, etc, which had not been touched yet.

I stood back and looked at the piles and felt like I was in my own private LHS. And this ain't even counting the bags of detail parts and other related knick knacks. It worked to convince me that I really didn't need another shake the box kit.

The overall result was a change in my purchasing patterns. When I would go to the hobby shop I'd only go with a list of parts or raw materials that pertained to the project I was working on at the time. Also, whenever I'd go to a big show or swap meet, I'd only purchase something I felt I couldn't find anywhere else, something that met a high standard of construction or skill (like the Gibraltar Hopper I found recently, mentioned in another post in the HO forum).

My honest plan now is to get a small layout up and running (see signature link) that can absorb some of these projects AND to finish those projects that already have a home awaiting them on my switching layout (like the Mantua Shifter detail/rebuild...see www.yardbirdtrains.com and accompaning Yahoo group for more info on that).

BUT, what hinders that effort is the lack of organization in the space itself. Not to worry, however, I have a plan and my wife, who is a fantastic organizer, is helping along the way. Just when I had it all where I wanted it, or reasonably so, we had to up and move. Oh well, now we're in our own home and I have a career that can finance the occasional trip to the LHS!